Storj Node Operators - Worth It?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
I've been running a node for a while now, only sharing 3tb. I decided to try it for fun, experience and the possibility of some sort of payout.

With the recent payout reductions, added to being paid in crypto which I never liked, the whole payout part of this experiment is toast IMO.

However what bothers me the most is the pressure for uptime. I've held off on doing upgrades so as to not disturb my percentages.

It has been an experience and I suppose it's shown me a tiny glimpse into something that's more serious compared to my tinkering. I just don't think I'm cut out for it.

Any other Node hosters out there having a good experience?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I don't, but it's a cool project on the surface.

Underneath I'd be curious if most nodes are on common clouds ;) kind of making it useless in terms of not being centralized to the most popular hosts online ;)

Do you operate that 3TB from 1 server dedicated for Storj or are you using say 10 VMs you use for work, and allocating unused space to STORJ?
I wonder if that would work?

For example you have 20 VMs at DigitalOcean and Linode where you don't even use 10% of disk space, so you allocate 20% each to Storj and the cost is 0$ to you. Thoughts?

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
I have the node running from a container in my dedicated TrueNAS machine. 3tb of 20tb left over space. Technically I suppose it's no financial cost already but I'm pressured to keep it up.

I like the idea of spreading it all out; if someone else was doing it . For me that sort of effort other than the experience in "playing" isn't worth it. Too much messing about. Now that I've experienced hosting the node the fun of something new is over and it's become a crutch.

It's worth noting that I do use Storj for my own cloud storage for which I pay monthly. It's pretty good and reasonably priced compared to everything else.

I don't know, not sure if I should wipe it out and be free or keep it and continue poking around the dashboard for fun.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
How much have you actually been getting? Wondering how it compares to other ways of turning storage into space (Chia etc).
Oh boy, their payout scheme is so complicated...

Based on half of my 3tb being utilized, with the current amount of "egress" data flow and my "holdback" percentage factor etc etc, here's April:

Screenshot_2023-05-02-10-15-04-87_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: T_Minus

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
That seems like a relatively good raw rate. I get about $20/mo for 45TB with Chia, so that's a much better payout. Problem is, data egress would make me blow through Xfinity's bandwidth cap, so I'd probably need to shell out $30 a month just to cover the unlimited plan. How much bandwidth does that consume per month?

Reactions: opensourcefan

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
That seems like a relatively good raw rate. I get about $20/mo for 45TB with Chia, so that's a much better payout. Problem is, data egress would make me blow through Xfinity's bandwidth cap, so I'd probably need to shell out $30 a month just to cover the unlimited plan. How much bandwidth does that consume per month?
Wow, that's actually great to know, thank you.

This however doesn't reflect their current reduction in payout. In some cases like egress it's a 50% reduction. This post actually has a lot of insight into the current happenings with Storj. Announcement: Changes to Storj Node Payouts

Trying to find historical stats... For May so far bandwidth is 87.5Gb, of which 11Gb is egress. This is from a total of 1.47Tb used.

I have a 1Gb unlimited plan anyway but I personally would never upgrade my plan for this. In Canada I would never ever recoup the upgrade costs.