Storage spaces will not add a drive to existing pool

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 24, 2020
Hi all,
I have windows server 2022 running storage spaces with an existing pool of 8 drives (some SAS some SATA, either 12TB or 16TB)
But i am unable to add 3 drives to this pool.
All three are HGST huh721212al4200 drives, i can create a new pool with the 3 drives fine but no add to existing pool.

i get the same error weather i try one disk or all three.

Ideas?

Thnaks

Attachments

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
Not sure if this will help, but I found this article describing this error occurring when the drives are not clean (ex: existing volumes/partitions):

Perhaps when creating a new pool Windows "cleans" the disks automatically, but does not when adding drives to an existing pool, maybe for safety.

Try the reset/clean procedure and see if that helps. The article has a powershell method, but usually I do this with the "clean" command in DISKPART. Ex: CMD-Admin -> diskpart -> list disk -> select disk X -> clean -> exit

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Could it be the sector size?

The existing volume has a sector size of 512b, but the 3 drives are 4kb drives.
I believe that is your issue. Decent chance the space has been created with 512k logical sectors, and needs to be recreated with 4k.

Get-virtualDisk | Sort-Object SlotNumber | Select-Object SlotNumber, FriendlyName, Manufactur
er, Model, PhysicalSectorSize, LogicalSectorSize | Format-Table
WIll show you the logical sector size