Storage Spaces issues (BSODs on writes plus "consider replacing drive" message)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

0utf0xZer0

Aug 17, 2016
So I have a storage space that consists of two USB3.0 portable hard disks, a 3TB Toshiba and a 3TB WD, mirrored, formatted in REFS with integrity checks enabled and bitlocker enabled. I use such a setup because I need the setup to work with both my desktop and another desktop at my parent's place. Both computers use Asus M5A97 R2.0 mainboards which use an ASMedia controller for USB 3.0, and both run Windows 10 Pro. I always use the USB ports on the mainboard rather than the front panel.

I have two issues with this setup:
1) Sometimes, writing to the storage space will cause Windows to BSOD, with the BSOD message referencing Spaceport.sys. In addition, some files that were recently written to the disk will be corrupted when this happens. This occurs on both systems. It usually only occurs during large writes - it has happened several types when copying several gigabytes of data to the disk, and once while Adobe Lightroom was generating previews for 2800 pictures. It has never occurred during regular Lightroom use which is less write intensive. This problem has been occurring for several months.

2) More recently (last week or so), Windows has been suggesting replacing one of my drives:
upload_2018-4-4_23-33-54.png

I've never had to replace a drive in a storage space before and I am concerned whether rebuilding it is even going to work given the BSOD on write issue and the corrupt files it causes.

Attachments

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Someone might have better ideas than me but I would look in my event log for any errors and failing any massive clues think about memtesting memory and testing the PSU etc.

0utf0xZer0

Aug 17, 2016
I tried plugging in only the Toshiba 3TB and then adding the WD back in, Storage Spaces now says the WD drive is "OK" again but still gives a reduced resiliency warning for the Storage Space itself.

The logs just say "Crash dump initilization failed" followed by "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" when a BSOD occurs.

If I had to guess at a piece of hardware, I would say it's either the WD 3TB itself or an incompatibility between that drive and the USB controller. When Storage Spaces warns about one of the drives, it's always the WD. Also, one time when I was using the WD as a single drive formatted as REFS (you can do it with a registry hack and I wanted the integrity checking), Windows suddenly stopped being able to mount it. At the time I assumed it was a Windows bug, since recovery software could read it, it passed all the tests I ran on it, and it worked in Windows again after a reformat.