Storage Spaces Direct poor write performance -- drives claim to have PLP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altmannj

May 7, 2019
I have a couple drive models which the datasheets claim have power loss protection, however, PowerShell reports "IsPowerProtected" as false after they join the S2D pool. These are enterprise-grade drives. I get sub-optimal performance with VMFleet, about 550MB/s write throughput and suspect that it has to be due to Microsoft showing that these drives aren't PLP.

These are the models I"m using:

TOSHIBA PX05SMB080Y - cache
TOSHIBA PX04SVB192 - storage

Does anyone have any experience with these drives?

Thanks.

altmannj

May 7, 2019
I took one of the drives apart, and I see 6 capacitors, which would seem to support their claim of having PLP. Not sure why Windows detects these as not having PLP.

altmannj

May 7, 2019
While the drives were not in an S2D pool, I had enabled the following options in devmgmt.msc:

"Enable write caching on the device"
"Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on this device"

After setting these, the drives showed as "IsPowerProtected = True" prior to S2D pool creation. After creating the S2D pool and performing a "Get-PhysicalDisk | Get-StorageAdvancedProperty", they all report false and give an error code of 1 for the caching property.

The S2D pool, however, shows "IsPowerProtected = True".

This is a two node setup with dual 10Gbe adapters running RDMA. RDMA runs at over 1.2Gbps and I have RSS configured for the network adapters. There are two of these caching drivings sitting in front of the capacity storage and both are showing as "Journal". These are write-intensive drives with read-intensive capacity drives.

I was off on my initial throughput statement. I'm receiving the following with dskspd:

diskspd.exe -t10 -o32 -b4k -si -Sh -w100 -d60 -D -L -c5g C:\ClusterStorage\WSR1-HV-01\test.io (roughly 350MB/s write throughput with caching turned off)

VMFleet output:

Start-FleetSweep -b 4 -t 8 -o 8 -w 100 -d 60 -p si (testing sequential writes, I see it max out at about 450MB/s on a node).

File copies, although not the most accurate, from and NVMe to the S2D cluster, I get between 300MB/s and 400MB/s. Individual disk performance is far higher when not in an S2D cluster or using Starwinds VSAN.

I'm not sure if these numbers are par for the course on a 2 node S2D setup, or if it's still something to do with windows reporting incorrect drive abilities.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Have you tried measuring the disk/cpu combination using other software like BTRFS, ZFS, LVM+ext4 or anything else to figure out if this is purely Windows not using the on-disk caches?

altmannj

May 7, 2019
I performed some reference tests by removing the 800GB caching drive and only writing to a non-S2D storage pool containing the 6 capacity drives.

Drive/Storage Spaces configuration

Model: TOSHIBA PX04SVB192 (850MB/s rated sequential write)
Size: 1.92
Qty: 6

Storage Pool Configuration:

LogicalSectorSize = 512
NumberOfColumns = 3
NumberOfDataCopies = 2
PhyiscalSectorSize = 4096
ResiliencySettingName = Mirror

Reference File Copy (from NVMe to storage spaces virtual disk): 1.4GB/s

===Test 1===
Description: Test sequential interlocked write throughput without software/hardware caching

diskspd.exe -t10 -o32 -b4096 -Sh -si -w100 -d60 -D -L -c5g D:\test.io

Output: 588MB/s

===Test 2===
Descripton: Test sequentail interlocked write throughout with software/hardware caching

diskspd.exe -t10 -o32 -b4096 -Sh -si -w100 -d60 -D -L -c5g D:\test.io

Output: 967MB/s

===Test 3===
Descripton: Test sequentail (non-interlocked) write throughout without software/hardware caching

diskspd.exe -t10 -o32 -b4096 -Sh -s -w100 -d60 -D -L -c5g D:\test.io

Output: 967MB/s

===Test 4===
Descripton: Test sequentail (non-interlocked) write throughout with software/hardware caching

diskspd.exe -t10 -o32 -b4096 -s -w100 -d60 -D -L -c5g D:\test.io

Output: 1274.23MB/s

=====

With the 2-node S2D pool, where I can run VMFleet, i was hitting a maximum of 450MB/s. File copies would average around 370MB/s from NVMe to the S2D pool. Disabling the 800GB caching drives by specifying "Set-ClusterS2D -CacheState Disabled" yielded similar results.

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
File copies, although not the most accurate, from and NVMe to the S2D cluster, I get between 300MB/s and 400MB/s. Individual disk performance is far higher when not in an S2D cluster or using Starwinds VSAN.
Speaking of file copying, I ran into an article Slow SMB files transfer speed. Try using robocopy.
You could try tweaking FirstBurstLenght value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\000X\Parameters (i.e., aligning it with MaxBurstLength).

P.S. Did you try reaching out to support?

Reactions: fops

fops

Jan 29, 2023
Speaking of file copying, I ran into an article Slow SMB files transfer speed. Try using robocopy.
You could try tweaking FirstBurstLenght value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\000X\Parameters (i.e., aligning it with MaxBurstLength).

P.S. Did you try reaching out to support?
I can confirm, that changing the FirstBurstLenght value dramatically improved my file transfer performance. In addition, OP can check if Starwind folders with disks are excluded on the level of antivirus/defender.