Storage server virtualization build--which way to go?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

talmania

Jan 4, 2013
Hi all--

I currently am looking to build a new performance storage solution for a home virtualization environment. I have a Norco 20x unraid NAS for media etc so i'm looking at a new performance based build for a loaded Poweredge T610 to connect to. Obviously must serve iSCSI...what do I have available to me?? I have various SATA, SAS and a couple of SSD's drives lying around. Hardware wise I have a HP SAS expander and a couple of HP P-series raid controllers (not sure which). Have an older'ish Supermicro MB that could be repurposed. Also have technet access to all MS products but I'm completely open to considering other options.

I'm wondering which route I should consider?

Will definitely be using ESXi and Hyper-V for learning/home lab purposes. I sincerely appreciate any recommendations and advice. Thanks!

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I am currently in the process of implementing an openindiana-napp-it storage server with ZFS into ESXi.
High performance could be yours using SSDs mixed with ZFS. You do have a lot of options. Do your controllers have cache on them? If so a hardware RAID solution with Server 2012 and the new implementation of SMB 3.0 would be quite zippy.