Storage server using Athlon CPU and 24HDD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shilelis

Nov 6, 2019
Hi, I'm building a personal storage server. Do you think this Athlon CPU will be enough or too weak? No VMs, no nothing, just managing storage. Will be using simple gigabit connection, might be pooling a few users at the same time.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The faster Athlon 64's would be ok for a small storage appliance, providing you keep it simple on the software front :)

Shilelis

Nov 6, 2019
Which Athlon? Ram? OS?
HDD - Internal HDD Toshiba X300, 3.5'', 4TB, SATA/600, 7200RPM, 128MB cache. SATA 1 to 5 Port Converter using a sata splitter, because I believe HDD can only use ~ 1gbps of satas available 6gbs). Motherboard - ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0. RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz. Athlon 200GE. Will be using Linux

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I concur with @BoredSysadmin stay away from SATA hubs/ replicators, get a proper HBA for your disks, there's little point in storing up trouble for yourself further down the road. I would go as far as to say, roll your own storage on Linux, rather than going the Freenas route, unless you can use ECC memory with a different CPU/ config, I wouldn't recommend using ZFS, stick with traditional mdraid etc :)

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I concur with @BoredSysadmin stay away from SATA hubs/ replicators, get a proper HBA for your disks, there's little point in storing up trouble for yourself further down the road. I would go as far as to say, roll your own storage on Linux, rather than going the Freenas route, unless you can use ECC memory with a different CPU/ config, I wouldn't recommend using ZFS, stick with traditional mdraid etc :)
The choice of OS, Volume Manager, and a file system - all depends on your level of comfort with each.
Each has its own pros and cons. ZFS, for example, is by a large degree the most capable but comes with million of fine print and gotchas in regards to design, efficiency, and scale.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ZFS is superiour regarding data security POINT:

Your system is capable for ZFS, try it.
You should avoid the Sata Splitter. If you do not have enough Sata ports, buy some used/cheap LSI HBA with 2008 or 2307 chipset with IT or IR firmware or optionally an SAS expander. Avoid only those with a Raid-5 firmware.

Use a ZFS distribution with a low footprint like XigmaNAS when you want Free-BSD. The lowest resource demands are on Solarish based distributions like OpenIndiana textedition or OmniOS. The last is my preferred ZFS distribution, OmniOS Community Edition.

Last edited: