Storage sale: 6x WD 3TB green, U-NAS NSC-800 case, Rosewill 8-drive enclosure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

godless

Jun 30, 2014
I recently upgraded drives and migrated my external storage to a storage chassis, so I'm clearing out my old gear.

I've got:
  • 6 x WD 3TB Green, head-park disabled with WDIDLE3, ~19k hours, no relocated or pending sectors (SMART info attached below) (SOLD!)
  • 2 x WD 3TB Green refurbs (replaced failed drives under warranty - 0 hours on them) (SOLD!)
  • U-NAS NSC-800 NAS case, like new, with the PCIe extension cable, USB 3.0 front panel and extra 2.5" HD bracket (I'll attach pics shortly). I used this for about 2 weeks and really liked it, but I ended up needing more 2.5" drive space and went to a DS380.
  • 1x Rosewill RSV-8 enclosure in like-new condition with 2-port port-multiplier controller card and eSATA cables, with upgraded fan (Noctua 120mm), cables and old-school wire fan cover replacement for reduced noise. Basically an upgraded version of this: (SOLD!)

rosewill-front.jpg rosewill-back.jpg

Asking $50/ea for the used Greens, $70/ea for the refurbs, $190 for U-NAS and $150 for the Rosewill. All prices include shipping [US only].

I've been on eBay since 1998 and my ID is usedid, so buy with confidence that you'll actually get what you're paying for and that it will be packed well. I'll take PayPal, but prefer USPS money orders.

Attachments

Last edited:

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Using WD Green in any 24/7 situation, especially several of them in the same chassis, is just asking for trouble, coming from personal experience.

EDIT: However, people on ebay seem a bit... dumb. You could probably convince them to pay a lot more for those terrible drives than you'd expect.

godless

Jun 30, 2014
Using WD Green in any 24/7 situation, especially several of them in the same chassis, is just asking for trouble, coming from personal experience.
My experience was just the opposite - I ran these for over 2 years with no problems, aside from the 2 drives that outright died. My biggest problem was that the jump in drive sizes was going to push my scrub time out further than I was comfortable with.

EDIT: However, people on ebay seem a bit... dumb. You could probably convince them to pay a lot more for those terrible drives than you'd expect.
Probably. But then I'd be dealing with the people on eBay. ;)

wookienz

Apr 2, 2012
I ran 2TB greens for years in a 24/7 system, a few issues here and there but generally stable.