Storage Performance advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Got my fusion I/O today. It looks like the firmware upgrade path for these is a bit tricky. Do you have any documentation you have followed? My first attempts to update the firmware kept telling me that the card was currently busy.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Maybe @T_Minus would be kind enough to share a work instruction I whipped up covering the process :-D Don't wanna go outside the lines of our agreement but I had the Linux side covered for these.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Maybe @T_Minus would be kind enough to share a work instruction I whipped up covering the process :-D Don't wanna go outside the lines of our agreement but I had the Linux side covered for these.
The documentation for Fusion-IO I found is for CentOS & ESXi driver, etc...

I've updated Fusion-IO last year in Windows myself, but I can't find any guide from @whitey on this I know I followed something on the forum here or another forum but I don't have that info in front of me anymore.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
no problem, I did find some things. just thought I would circle around with you and see if the documentation you had is better. Mine seems a bit vague, but I haven't had a time to further dig into it yet.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Well finally got the card updated and installed in the server yesterday....shortly after I learned it is not compatible with freenas...woops.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Those LSI warpdrives work damn well in FreeNAS as a FYI. Plug and play on pretty much EVERY OS.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
is the LSI warp drive my next best choice? .....well I am sure there are better....but keeping it cheap.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
is the LSI warp drive my next best choice? .....well I am sure there are better....but keeping it cheap.
Probably w/out going to NVMe and keeping it 'thrifty'. Just keep in mind, you will need good cooling and they come recognized in Linux/BSD as 4 seperate 200 gb ssd devices (at least on the Oracle F80) which is kind of nice from a flexability standpoint.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I have been wondering about that lately. I am thinking since all my sotrage Devices are passed through to a VM I dont think they get adequately cooled since the server can no longer change fan speeds based on thier temps

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I have been wondering about that lately. I am thinking since all my sotrage Devices are passed through to a VM I dont think they get adequately cooled since the server can no longer change fan speeds based on thier temps
Just set the IPMI fan speeds to whatever will drive sufficient cooling, should be a snap.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
well the Server is in colo so I was going to just set them to %100 though I wasnt sure how.