Storage Asset Tracking Application

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have been thinking about developing a storage asset tracking application to replace spreadsheets with things like drive ages, serial numbers, invoices (for RMA proof) and etc.

Does anyone use something like this? I don't want to pay to have something developed if there is already something out there. I have the basic DB structure setup in Excel sheets at this point, and am working on UX specs already, but not sure if it is a worthwhile exercise.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Not that track assets at that level of detail. Most people are not tracking individual HDDs or SAS expanders. They bought a Dell EQL box and track that as a single asset. If a HDD dies they call Dell.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is exactly what I have seen out there. Box level hardware tracking and license tracking, but not as much on the internal components. There are some platforms that let you do this, but they are "dumb" and cannot tell the difference, for example, between an onboard and add-in controller.

leagle

Jan 1, 2011
Alexandria, VA
Great idea. I've been using a spreadsheet in google docs to track all of that info.

I've also been toying with the idea of putting together a complete asset management application that would allow you to organize your components into "systems." I am thinking of something like http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org, but geared towards a single user.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was looking into OCSInventory and it seems to be pretty decent. The issue is that it is not storage specific.