STH Q2 2017 Refresh is Live: Let’s Talk Ad Space

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think you mean 2016

"In early 2016 we started experimenting with a novel concept, using fewer ads. By Q3 2017 we had dropped the number of ads each visitor saw, on average, by 11%."

Reactions: Patrick

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The other tech sites have so many ads, and intrusive ads now I actually won't even load some of their content if I realize I'm "clicking" onto one of their pages after I've made the click. NO I do not want to watch a 30 second or 60 second video to get "ad free" viewing, I want to read the article and move on. No I don't like it when you auto-play a video ad or any ad with sound.

A+ in my 02 @Patrick

I'm seeing some white space up top that could be thinned/narrowed, but liking the new look :)

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I like this a lot better than the old STH one. The last one kinda worked on mobile but let's face it, it sucked. This one I saw first on mobile and I was like WTF.

Hey - that ad space thing is really good.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Maybe just me but I'm on my mobile and when I click the menu icon on main site I can't seem to find forums link. I see something like click here for menu (going from memory, so not exact wording). I got to the forums using the link in the article.

On chrome on Android.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe just me but I'm on my mobile and when I click the menu icon on main site I can't seem to find forums link. I see something like click here for menu (going from memory, so not exact wording). I got to the forums using the link in the article.

On chrome on Android.
Thanks! Should be fixed now.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I like the new layout. Working well on Android.

I stopped going to Tom's all together after getting multiple full screen "Your Android device has a virus" ads.

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
On the main page you might slow down the "Trending Now" scroll box near the top of the page. Bit too fast to read some of the longer titles.

That or I just ain't read gud

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I just spent a few minutes reading various articles on the main site, it looks good and is pretty fluid imo. I do like the design and I think most will agree. One thing I did notice, more than once, and it could just be my old tired eyes so don't put too much weight on this, but the right column feels like it is a little "twitchy" as you scroll down. It doesn't feel like it smoothly scrolls down with you, rather feels more like a snap, especially as the main header goes off screen. I was using FF 52.

You guys have done a great job, so definitely thumbs up :)

sherwood

Dec 14, 2015
@Patrick

The only issue I have seen so far is with the Palemoon browser (27.2.1 on Arch). It shows up as the mobile version and not the desktop. Not sure if this is because of the way the website is checking Palemoon or if it is because it emulates an order Firefox version (29 i think).

It works great on mobile (Android) and of course Chromium/Chrome.

Other than that it looks wonderful!!!

Thanks,

Sherwood

Attachments

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
That looks good, and on mobile too. In terms of ads; sure, nobody likes those, but it brings in money (and my salary ;)), and that is fine.

Given all the demoeval work that you're now doing, Patrick, what fraction of your turnover is running the website? Still the larger part?

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
As one of the very few sites I use, I have ABP disabled on (all of) servethehome, but I do use noscript and block anything from FB, Twitter, Googlesyndication and others that sound like they could be advertising or tracking related.

I get the Amazon ads in the '2nd block on the right side a bit down the page' (not sure how else to describe it), but I don't get the banner along the top, nor the block above the Amazon ads.

Not that I'm 'dying to see ads', but reading the article I saw the pink areas you marked to show advertisement real estate, and that's when I noticed I'm only getting 1 of the 3 advertisement sections/blocks.

As far as I know, I cannot disable Googlesyndication for just scripts linked from STH, so I'm not going to enable it (as it would enable it for all sites that I visit).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea there is an issue where enabling wp super cache adds an extra whitespace line at the start of the RSS feed and breaks the feed. Still working on that one.