STH Official Meetup Group

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I finally started a group on Meetup.

Here is the group to join. Sorry it is a bit sparse, it just got created: ServeTheHome.com Official Meetup Group

[Update] Tentative logistics for first event: Saturday April 2, 2016 at Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, California.

The basic plan:
  • Pick a place to meet
  • Ensure we have food and such
  • I am fairly sure I can get some cool new hardware in there. I am planning to chat with some vendors on getting assistance with this
  • Have introductions/ social time
  • Check out cool hardware
  • Work on a project
Proposed activities:
  • Social time - meet other STH members
  • Hands-on time with the new hardware that people are unlikely to have yet. We can probably have a few demo systems up and running and maybe a few in the lab. Probably can get physical hands-on time. Trying to figure out how we could let people have time on the hardware.
  • Bring your home server showcase? We can do a few builds and then have them shown off at the meet-up. This does mean downtime, it also means you could build your system with a specific target weekend
  • Help with? FreeNAS maybe? Proxmox? I was thinking maybe we could have a short session on getting something up and running.
What else would make for a fun meetup?

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Sweet! I'll check if I'm over there this weekend.

What about a silent auction or swap meet or similar?

Diavuno

Honestly I think the bay area members could just sit and talk for hours...

But the lab/now equipment may be more fun.

Bringing home servers is a think and very much related... But could be an issue as quite a few of us gave home servers in a cluster... Even the core of my home box is 4u...

I'd be interested in seeing if any of the other locals have unique setups... I've been toying with the idea of going MOD crazy on a 6th gem nuc to replace my desktop...

Maybe go crazy on modding a laptop...

But when I MOD it's expensive and equally excessive

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Sounds like fun, but a bit far to go for a day. If there's ever a meetup within a few hours drive I'll try and make it though.

Or you could all come here! We could put together some kind of STH area at Fragapalooza - 4 days of gaming with some breaks for projects/builds/discussions/etc. If @Patrick is interested I can be the FP contact - feel free to PM me or whatever and let this thread stay on topic.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
:) Trying for local to start just to get an idea of how to work on these.

If we can get fun items like Knights Landing Xeon Phi - might that be fun? Big JBODs? Ceph? Xeon D? Other?