STH Main Site Direction - April 2013

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wanted to start a thread to discuss comments on: How to Install Minecraft Server on Windows 8 Hyper-V Ubuntu Server 60s

We have been doing more how-to articles lately so certainly fair commentary. Admittedly, today's piece was a bit of an experiment which we do from time-to-time. STH started as a personal blog as I started with server hardware for a media streaming project. That experimentation has significantly broadened the scope of the site since then. That comes with good and bad. The good is we get more resources to actually get products to review. The bad is that sometimes, experiments do not go as well.

Always happy to have a discussion around would people like to see fewer how-to's and only 1-2 articles per week, or have a mix of both hardware and software. In August 2011 to November 2011 STH had fewer articles than in February 2013.

Unlike a Tom's Hardware or Anandtech for example, this is a *much* smaller niche site. Practically that means that we can explore some products/ solutions that are too low of interest volume for those sites. On the other hand, it also means that there are limits to output and topics covered.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
Don't think anyone cares really. Experiments are good. Not like you're forcing those peeps to read. Topics here are broad enough that some people will only look at some.

What you need is more peeps to contribute

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
At least from the comments today it seems like people want something a little more editorial/opinionated. Kind of a bummer because i really like finding good How-Tos. Especially for less common tasks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I personally like the How-Tos but the issue is that they can become out of date quite fast.

I will probably put one together for CentOS and Infiniband SRP if I can get it up and running.

RB

xena

Apr 10, 2013
well I have one idea for ya... "Users gives back" ... did you find usefull info on our site and use it to build some interesting "home"(or another) project? Tell as about that...send info, even write article about it, send it to us and if it will be good or interesting we can make article for STH...you project will be known by all of readers of the STH around world.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
well I have one idea for ya... "Users gives back" ... did you find usefull info on our site and use it to build some interesting "home"(or another) project? Tell as about that...send info, even write article about it, send it to us and if it will be good or interesting we can make article for STH...you project will be known by all of readers of the STH around world.
isn't this what people are already doing on the forums? see that often here. did you submit a main page and not get it accepted?

personally if i'm not interested, i don't read.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Ha, I've been trying to get this to work for the past few days. Going to Cent 6.4 makes a few things... a lot of things not work as nice. Grr.

I personally like the How-Tos but the issue is that they can become out of date quite fast.

I will probably put one together for CentOS and Infiniband SRP if I can get it up and running.

RB

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA

RB
Is it much different than the Ubuntu target one I did a while back? I had to compile SCST so that part wan't very ubuntu specific and CentOS has simpler support for non mainline IB drivers.