STH Global Server Farm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
I was thinking since everyone here has their own home lab. Why dont we together commit into global server farm.

We can make it into a big pool by contributing a VM each and create something useful.

Simple compute vm like
- 1 vCpu, 1 vRam, 10GB hdd, 1mbps speed

Project can be anything like
- STH web cache
- STH P2P Services
- STH cloud

Patrick can create a standard OS for us to deploy.

This is an initial idea, who knows we can grow into something better and interesting since everyone here has their field of expertise.

Lets prove how home lab can be more powerful than enterprise system.

-----------------------------------

STH Compute VM Contribution List :

1. BThunderW
2. capn_pineapple
3. Dk3
4. Entz
5. JeffroMart
6. legen
7. Mike
8. MiniKnight
9. s0lid
10. starshooter10
11. wildchild
12. zunder1990

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and Chuntzu

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
Yeah. Lets hope Patrick can comes out with some idea and lead us to the future STH.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yeah. Lets hope Patrick can comes out with some idea and lead us to the future STH.
Putting me on the spot a bit :) Intriguing concept. I just do not have a good answer of what we would do with it.

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
Perhaps lets make a collection of peoples willing to contribute into your Mega project

At the mean time, you can slowly take your time to see what you want it by knowing how much resource you will be having.

----------------------------------

Last edited:

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Add me to that list.. running vsphere 5.5.. be willing to spare some storage too .. 35 gb 10000 iops should be plenty :)

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
I cant define the requirements what Patrick wants. Was just suggesting and gathering interested parties.

The main roles still goes to Patrick and the Moderators to open up discussion of what they required and intention.

Getting the bullets ready and let them fire up whenever they feels likes to. Lol~

So, anymore interested Bullets ???

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So a few thoughts on this (or at least where I got to at this point):

1. Hardware wise, STH has plenty, and I am actually going to be adding a bit more. @JeffroMart I was actually thinking of coloing a 1U with you since I do like to support readers/ active forum members. I will send more on that as I get a bit of time to breath.

2. In terms of making this a giant STH CDN/ hosting farm, great idea. I do have a penciled in architecture upgrade including moving to haproxy and https for the main site. That being said, it is unlikely that STH would use/ require all of the resources pledged in this thread for hosting. Frankly, STH in the next few weeks will have at minimum 100x more power than it needs and 30x bandwidth (95th).

So I guess the question is, we can pool the resources, but then what do we have them do. One idea I had last evening was what about using them as a base for tutorials/ howtos?

Along those lines, @starshooter10 had a tutorial on Hyper-V published recently on the main site. Happy to take other submissions if anyone is dying to write one (or ten).

Maybe another thread/ idea is what would we do with it. I might be able to even spare some significant resources in the datacenter for it.

Reactions: Dk3

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
Great to see things moving.
For me, I am located in Asia so likely can pool in bandwidth for Asia region to host the articles.

I believe what we need now is an base image for the vm to connect to your main engine and pull whatever you will like them to do.

Basically ur master server will manipulate all the slave servers.

A cdn service that resemble how google chunk server works. Its an wonderful concept.

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
I don't know if there are even any performance issues that would require a bunch of repositories...

Always seems super snappy to me!
As what Patrick referred he had plenty of resource and thats what we require on the Main Frame to deploy. I believe his current equipment and bandwidth definitely is sufficient to kick off for a good start.

As u said is true, likely facing soon is how the topology going to be since its one to many communication.