STH Colocation Number 2 Build Log

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
I asked Patriot why you weren't using HE Fremont recently, they're probably more reliable than FiberHub. I have some friends who use them and they are friends with an employee there, I've never noticed any outages.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well we are now. The cost is 2x at HE versus FiberHub so that was/ is a major factor.

Reactions: T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Remembered to bring the four big boxes but forgot to bring the one small one that would have allowed three more machines to get running. Oh well.

Latest additions:

Dual E5-2699 V3 in an Intel 2U chassis, 128GB RAM - 2x Intel S3500 800GB, 2x Intel S3700 400GB and 2x Toshiba 480GB - also added a dual 10Gbase-T X540 NIC and I also added the Fusion-io 160GB SLC drive to this build. Pretty nice machine TBH.

We also found the Tripp-Lite Zero U PDU was defective (showed 0 amps) so that was replaced by a brand new unit today.

Re-seated the memory in the dual Xeon E5 v2 / 64GB machine and that is now installing its OS. This one has 3x 4TB drives, 2x 40GB Intel boot drives and 2x SanDisk CloudSpeed Ascend 800GB drives.

Also, there was a shelf installed mid-rack. That is a great place for a laptop now!

Finally the Dell PowerConnect 8132 rail kit did not come with inner rails so that was a bummer.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Working with Proxmox again. I like the ZFS integration now. I do not love the community support though.
exactly :p.....

community support is lacking, but....
since proxmox uses unmodified linux kvm (and OVS), having linux knowledge is useful.
I am on proxmox 3.4:
*) tested zfs on command line, piece of cake. ZoL 0.6.3.X is stable on my purpose.
*) back to the drawing board, since I have only 24M RAM, and ZFS take some M byte RAM ( I can limit maximum ram limit). I just install hardware RAID 1,

overall is acceptable for me, but... community support is not good. I trust my linux skills mostly.
try openvz (tight to host kernel) and ditch out due to my purposes some VMs connecting to wild wild Internet and easy moving KVM image to another baremetal or backup.

do not forget to pick virtio when creating a VM, this is a beast fast for guest OS as long as modules/drives are loaded.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick

What OS are you using for the ZFS backup and storage on the 4U? Linux with ZoL?

Do you use a web frontend for ZFS administration?
I have been using nas4free but am medium happy with it only. I use nas4free at home so it was familiar. No 4U in the Fremont facility yet though.

RandyC

Mar 1, 2014
Portland, OR
I thought freeNAS 9.3 was when they switched to freeBSD 10. (Maybe I am confusing this with pfSense 2.2)

Edit: FreeNAS 10 will feature a dramatic overhaul of the user interface, completely rewritten underpinnings, and a re-base on FreeBSD 10.x.