Step up affordable rack switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Quick note about the HP 1800/1900 series at least based on my experience. Good general switches. But put some moderate load iscsi traffic on them and they don't have the required packet/port buffers and you get intermittent performance. That doesn't mean they're not great for general purpose network side though.
This is great information. I will continue to use the 1800's on the edges where power / noise is more important than raw performance.

But, for the rack in the garage that is cranking out the heat and noise, and where I really don't want to have to ask myself whether my switch is causing issues, what is the hive thoughts on an affordable but competent 24 port rack switch? There is plenty of gear listed in the "500 dollar 10G switch" thread but I would be happy if I can get a switch that won't fall apart should I ever throw iSCSI at it for less than half that.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Take a look at the Cisco 4948 series switches. Was designed as a top of rack switch and has some nice size buffers on it which should be good for iscsi

aero

Apr 27, 2016
+1 for Cisco 4948. Not the cheapest, but great switches. Downside is that the 4948-10GE requires X2 (proprietary cisco type) transceivers. Not expensive on ebay though.