STEC Mach16 Help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyberlocc

Sep 1, 2017
Hey guys, so I just got 2 STEC Mach16s for my firewall and have a issue, I wanted to update the firmware and such however I cannot register the device and apparently I need to do so to get the HDM. I tried every number on the tag and none work, any ideas?

Also to owners are you guys actively cooling these things? They are hot as heck! I know they say they are 5v is that why? Should I cut out the 12v from the sata port?

Thanks in advance.

Got the software, now to find firmware lol :).

Last edited:

neggles

is 34 Xeons too many?
Sep 2, 2017
Melbourne, AU
omnom.net
No point whatsoever cutting out the 12v from the SATA port, the drive has no connections on those pins and has effectively already done that for you.

Firmware-wise you're probably basically screwed for updates unless you can find someone who has the files; STEC got eaten by the HGST/WD driveborg and they'll not be particularly interested in helping you out.

Like all enterprise SSDs they consume quite a whack of power and get pretty warm. You'll want there to be a decent amount of airflow over them.

cyberlocc

Sep 1, 2017
No point whatsoever cutting out the 12v from the SATA port, the drive has no connections on those pins and has effectively already done that for you.
Well ya, that is what I assumed was just checking because, you never know lol.

Firmware-wise you're probably basically screwed for updates unless you can find someone who has the files; STEC got eaten by the HGST/WD driveborg and they'll not be particularly interested in helping you out.
I have experienced this with my quest for HDM for the drives...

Like all enterprise SSDs they consume quite a whack of power and get pretty warm. You'll want there to be a decent amount of airflow over them.
Hmm, they consume less than my Intel 730s, and get much much hotter but ya I have found it's the controller getting hot from experimentation, I dropped a low height heatsink I pulled off a old server part, for now, that did well nothing. That resulted in that thing getting extremely hot.

So I set a 90mm fan over it, at an angle for now, that keeps it ice cold. The issue is going to be figuring out how to route air over that thing. I am going to need to desing some type of bracket, or buy 1, and even then, IDK Jbweld it to the case and pray lol, it's a 1U firewall, and there is no fan mounts anywhere near the drives location, and no room to mount them by where the fans are. So enguinty will have to be coming lol.

neggles

is 34 Xeons too many?
Sep 2, 2017
Melbourne, AU
omnom.net
If it's a tiny 1U box, could you grab a couple of 40x40x20 fans like this Sunon MagLev KDE1204PKV3-MS.AF.GN 3pin 18dB-A Super Silence #M414 QL | eBay and ziptie/foam tape one or two in place blowing over the drive(s)?

You won't need much airflow, just some. The total drive power consumption is like 6 watts according to the datasheet, so a tiny little fan keeping the air moving should be plenty.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if the chip is designed to tolerate high heat - but a little bit of airflow never goes amiss.

cyberlocc

Sep 1, 2017
If it's a tiny 1U box, could you grab a couple of 40x40x20 fans like this Sunon MagLev KDE1204PKV3-MS.AF.GN 3pin 18dB-A Super Silence #M414 QL | eBay and ziptie/foam tape one or two in place blowing over the drive(s)?

You won't need much airflow, just some. The total drive power consumption is like 6 watts according to the datasheet, so a tiny little fan keeping the air moving should be plenty.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if the chip is designed to tolerate high heat - but a little bit of airflow never goes amiss.
No way to ziptie a fan :(. But I am making a bracket to install a fan right now :).

Defiantly not using those sunons lol, they are like jet engines my rack is small and in my office beside me, but a Noctua a4, will be blowing on to the 1 inch tall sinks I mustered up from old boards :) that should keep this thing in check.

I hope.

neggles

is 34 Xeons too many?
Sep 2, 2017
Melbourne, AU
omnom.net
Those particular sunons are rated at 18dBa, you'll never hear them at all - they also put out a little bit more flow than the Noctuas, I've been using them all over the place in switches and things because they're absurdly cheap (much as I love noctua, their stuff ain't cheap)

Each particular sunon maglev model comes in a lot of different speeds/flows/loudnesses - there's a reason I linked that specific listing ;)

Sounds like you've got it sorted.

cyberlocc

Sep 1, 2017
Those particular sunons are rated at 18dBa, you'll never hear them at all - they also put out a little bit more flow than the Noctuas, I've been using them all over the place in switches and things because they're absurdly cheap (much as I love noctua, their stuff ain't cheap)

Each particular sunon maglev model comes in a lot of different speeds/flows/loudnesses - there's a reason I linked that specific listing ;)

Sounds like you've got it sorted.
Hmm I will have to check those out. Have you compared them to the Noctuas, they are pretty much the same RPM (5k to 5200) The Noctuas are PWM which is a plus, and those are only 8 from China they are the same price as Noctuas on Amazon.

That said I am intrigued, however for the SSD fan, I don't have 20mms, I need a 10mm fan for that, for other uses though, like swicthes and front fans for the case I will likely check them out :).

neggles

is 34 Xeons too many?
Sep 2, 2017
Melbourne, AU
omnom.net
I've got quite a few of them and quite a few Noctuas, I run both in various things and I can't tell a difference between them. Both are dead silent (inaudible unless hanging next to your ear) at 7v, and barely audible at all at 12v. The Sunons that screech are rated at 10k+ rpm - 5k makes 'em nice and quiet :)

It's worth going through the manufacturer spec sheet for the original fan you're replacing in switches etc - there's typically a different sub-model of the same fan that you can pick up from eBay/aliexpress for peanuts that is about half the flow and half the speed but almost silent (sub-25dBa)

I chose these Sunons for being as close to the NF-A4 as I could find in terms of flow rate, so that anywhere an NF-A4 will work (and I have room for a 20 instead of 10) these should...