Staying current in IT: The ISOs your NAS should have

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

watersb

Jun 11, 2016
New Mexico
I have enjoyed working with almost all of these things, and a bit deeper into security.

However, most of my friends think I am nuts, that this field is too broad.

What would be a job title for someone who knows about all of these OS options, worked through Linux From Scratch, a Mac and iOS programmer, and learning about MDM (Mobile Device Management)?

What a weird life.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
'Jack of all trades...master of none' :-D

hahah j/k I COULDN'T resist though...some days I tell ya...sure feels like it though :-D

Reactions: markarr

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I have enjoyed working with almost all of these things, and a bit deeper into security.

However, most of my friends think I am nuts, that this field is too broad.

What would be a job title for someone who knows about all of these OS options, worked through Linux From Scratch, a Mac and iOS programmer, and learning about MDM (Mobile Device Management)?

What a weird life.

You do realise that you'll be the old fogey that they eventually stick in the cupboard for emergencies, right? :D:D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Personally, I think a FreeDOS ISO should be on the list.

I think there is a follow-up piece coming with utilities or technologies that people should try.

Alex Skysilk

Nov 16, 2015
I dont know if NAS distributions need to be on your nas, BUT- Rockstor is maturing nicely, and can do things that ZFS based distros cant (heterogeneous disk raid groups, RAID growing/rebalancing, linux.)

For your PXE- Acronis/PING/clonezilla. Hiren/UBCD

Reactions: Patrick

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Personally, I think a FreeDOS ISO should be on the list.
Time for a 2021 version? :D

Personally I would remove:
centos (not a free rhel clone anymore)
windows 8.1 (old)
"windows server" (old/version not specified)
xenserver ("replaced" by kvm)
scaleio (not sure how relevant it is for sds in 2021)

Add:
Windows Server 2019 (v1709 and newer support 256+ TByte volumes ;D)
Windows Server 20H2 (gui less version, updated more frequently)
FreeDOS (Unbelievable how many firmware update tools still require a dos environment/direct hardware access)

Replace:
FreeNas with TrueNas

Move:
Proxmox from special distros to hypervisors/storage

I don't know about omnios (or other solaris based os) and how relevant they are anymore after the zfs development moved to the openzfs project...