Starter HomeServer Recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aidancomi

Dec 20, 2021
I want to created a Home Server/Home Lab most likely running some hypervisor to easily spin up VMs. What system would be recommended in the $300-$500 range that would be best. I'm looking to buy new and ideally prebuilt, but could build a PC if it made sense.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
Having used VMware for many years, I have now drunk the koolaid with proxmox. With proxmox, things just work where with VMware you fight things at almost every step. Plus proxmox supports a wider range of hardware where the latest version of VMware only supports things that are 2 months old or newer.

With any hypervisor setup, get something that supports lots of memory for both the guests and the host. For hardware recommendations, really depends on how many VMs you want to run and what they will be doing. If you are wanting to just get started and run one or two VMs, any 8 core and 16GB pc would work fine.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Read through the various threads and main site articles on the Mini/Micro systems. They make great small servers (well, maybe not storage servers…).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
300-500 range will require some searching for deals to get something good, some D-1520/21/40/41 systems maybe around if you shop well, the HPE microserver gen10+ is nice but a little more and limited to 64gb max (32gb officially), Dell T140 etc but again a little more like $700, could look for prior generation or just wait for specials.