Starcase & Custom Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Anyone use anything from StarCase? Specifically I'm looking at these for custom installation: Star Case - Cases - QF2030 - QF2030-19" Wide, 30" Deep, 20U High Rack Kit - Steel Rack Kits 3/8" Square - Star Case

Thinking about that kit + their 'support' to make them stronger, and mounting inside a custom enclosure of mine with forced air, etc...

They seem to be rated great, and beefy.

Did I miss anything or is: Star Case - Cases - QF2030 - QF2030-19" Wide, 30" Deep, 20U High Rack Kit - Steel Rack Kits 3/8" Square - Star Case correct if I plan on using square hole / all super micro rails....

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
My rack is by StarCase. I needed a custom height to fit a specific space and they were perfect. The corner brackets make a couple of RU taller than a 'normal' rack but I'm quite satisfied.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Awesome, great to here. I'm doing a custom build 20U Tall x 30" Depp into the "wall", and plan to put it on a platform I build out of steel, and that connects to a pole so I can actualyl slide the entire rack, and then spin it to access the "back half" since I'm going 30" deep, and then tuck it away when all done. The idea is to build a cabinet into the wall (plenty plent plenty room, I probably will end up with 3, 20U space next to each other so I can do my UPSpower, and keep it all in the 'back' of the cabinet(s).

The pivot point is simple, going to use a 'HD tire carrier hinge' we use in off-reading. Some are even made from spindles (Ie: axle spindles that bearings go on to hold the weight of your wheel/tire), my house gate is going to have some 1TON or 2.5TON spindles for the gate hinge-point, insane bearing size!! Little $$

For the rails I'll probably use something that's common on CNC machines so again it's readily available and cheap. Since it won't see metal shavings or dust I'll probably go with something smooth, and simple.

Cabinet + Metal Shelf on bottom connected to pivot point + slides on shelf + rather versatile.

Plan is for forced air, filtration, cooling, and more. I was going to do humidity but after monitoring and trying to dehumidify there just isn't enough in CA where I'm to justify it...

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I wish.

This was the quicker mini-DC than converting part of the office into a closet/mini-DC with loft, and built-in book cases ;) LOL!!

Also, in-laws are here to help :) And father in-law enjoys building things, so should whip it out pretty quick.

Waiting to here back from some people on the '4x4're-used parts, then its just a pipe, few mins of welding, and building the wood cabinet :D

The forced air, ducting, and filtration will take a bit longer because I have how I want it in my head, and want to keep it like that as much as possible :D And within there will be an AC unit to cool if needed, it rarely gets over 66 in there, but with outside air, and servers and having a private room my hunch is it will heat up after a few days of 90+ weater.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Looks like I may not have enough room to get it out enough to pivot.

Plan #2, back access via 'access' door on other side of wall, time to measure :) more.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Update:

2 StarCase 20U steel racks delivered.

I've checked out some of the framing, looks good. I got some braces, and a top plate to see which made it more rigid, and./or if I needed both.

I'll report back when I get them installed but that will be a month+ as I have to finish building out the DC.

Racks will sit in custom cabinets in the wall, supported on the backside with a 4x6 and peers to handle the weight. Rear access will be via access door, and on a wood deck or concrete to ensure no dust. Also going to insulate, and enclose the rest of the basement in this region for temp loss, etc...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, it's just basic steel framing nothing special.

I'll get one togther here shortly as I Need to measure some things.