Star Citizen

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
Since I think a lot of us will be getting Optane 900p's, do we have a group for Star Citizen? Should we make one? Does anyone already play?

William

May 7, 2015
Love Star Citizen, it just keeps getting better and better.

Little bit long but gives a good idea on how far it has come. What we see in the video is not in game yet but will be soon.

I have not formally joined any groups or guilds, just hang with a few friends I have known for a long time. Both of which have spent HUGE amounts on this game. I do have a few large ships but trying to limit myself LOL. TBH I don't even play it very much at this time, I am waiting for at least 3.1 to drop to get the ships I really want to play.

I am Konflict on the forums :)

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Love Star Citizen, it just keeps getting better and better.

Little bit long but gives a good idea on how far it has come. What we see in the video is not in game yet but will be soon.

I have not formally joined any groups or guilds, just hang with a few friends I have known for a long time. Both of which have spent HUGE amounts on this game. I do have a few large ships but trying to limit myself LOL. TBH I don't even play it very much at this time, I am waiting for at least 3.1 to drop to get the ships I really want to play.

I am Konflict on the forums :)
What console?

William

May 7, 2015
Not even close to COD, its a space game. More like Elite Dangerous but far more detail. There is ground FPS style combat but that is only a small part of it.

Its still in Alpha, has a long ways to go before its released.

Intel joined with Chris Roberts/SC to do a promo release of the new Optanes. When you purchase an Optane you get a code that gets you a Saber Raven.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
SC was given free with 900P pre-order? Or some promo....

New COD just came out.

still stuck playing pubG despite the TERRIBLE bugs and hackers.... gonna get COD I guess :p throw back to #1? or #2? I forget... years ago is all I know. ha ha

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
Dang it, one showed up in my inventory but no Optane drive :)
... no I did not buy a drive, a Sabre Raven code was given to me :)
Sabre Raven.JPG

Reactions: Patrick

William

May 7, 2015
If anyone wants I can give a rundown of what Star Citizen is atm and what it will be.
Its a rather complex game that will be massive in scope.
I have been around SC for years now and accumulated a fair number of ships, but nothing compared to others... some have spent upwards of $30,000 or more !

Reactions: Patrick

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
If anyone wants I can give a rundown of what Star Citizen is atm and what it will be.
Please do. I was trying to figure it out from the Wikipedia article and some youtube videos. I couldn't tell if it was Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky or the graphic successor to Trade Wars 2002.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have an account and a few ships;)
If anyone has a Sabre code and doesnt need it I'd take one;) - Got my 900p from a SC player who only needed the code and a few bucks [launch event];)

And a very short explanation would be
Wing Commander (90's space sim) in an online, open world combined with Ego Shooter (planetside/stations) and X-series gaming depth ... if that does tell the uninitiated person anything;)

SC was given free with 900P pre-order? Or some promo....
Limit set of 900p's have a SC ship code included

Reactions: T_Minus

William

May 7, 2015
Ok... it all started with Chris Roberts who designed the game Wing Commander if any of you remember that one.
SC began as a crowd funded only game and has worked its way close to $200 Million. Just this month alone it has made $3.2 million. All this is made from ship sales. That's a lot of ships !! Currently 1.9 million people have pledged for ships.

You can get in the game for $45 starter package whish will include a single ship and a few other things. Where you go from there is pledging for ships you might like, from small Single-seaters to massive destroyers that require a large number of people to fly. Ship types range from fighters to cargo ships, explorer types to mining, luxury yachts to racers. Single player or multi player ships come in each type of ship.

The game it self will start off as Squadron 42 which is a single player game. They expect this to have maybe 3-4 expansions. Later the full blown game will be released with what CR calls the Persistent Universe which will be a one world server that includes everything, all star systems etc. All players will live and play on one huge game world. This is where we get to fly the ships we pledged for.

This youtube describes the PU pretty good.

Ok so.. hey I don't want to spend all my time flying space ships around, what's in it for me ?
You want FPS type game play ? its here and called Star Marine. You can have friends drop you on a planet to fight with others using vehicles and all sorts of things. If you fly a assault ship you can fly up to a huge destroyer, blow a hole in the ship and your FPS guys can jump in and fight it out with the players maning the ship.

Just some vids on ships and sizes.
For Cargo types we have the Hull series. Currently I have a Hull C and E.

So with each ship type than can be multi-player what does that mean ?
Ships can have stations, like captain, engineer, weapons officer etc. But man, what if I don't have that many friends to play or people are not only line and crap, no one wants to man the gun turrets because its boring. Fear not, you can hire NPC's to man those spots. Take away is big multi crew ships might be a problem to fully man and using NPC's to fill spots might get costly. There are other options not yet in the game.

The main enemy in Star Citizen are the Vanduul, they main things we will be fighting. There is also PvP, Priates etc.

Current state of the game is Alpha and very soon to have patch 3.0 come out which will bring a lot of nice new features. 3.1 is what I am waiting for as it brings several ships I am waiting for.

What can you do now ?
There is free flight, just you and your ship to fly around and get used to.
Fight Vanduul is waves of ships coming at you.
Star Marine where you can fight others FPS style.
Move to your hanger and check your shinny new ships out.
Or head to Port Olisar, a giant space station. Recall a ship you want to fly and take off and explore.

Right now we only have Port Olisar and a few waypoint to fly around to, its good fun as you can find people who want to fight.
In 3.0 we get some planets and more space. We will be able to land on planets, get out and explore, fight, pull our dune buggies out and race around.

The game still has a long ways to go before even Beta hits but its in good shape and lots of fun even in this Alpha. SQ42 should hit soon also.

I like to read about the tech behind the game. Originally it started using Crytek game engine but soon out grew that (yes it could play Crysis). They moved to Amazon Lumberjack a little over a year ago. The game uses a massive amount of processing power so Lumberjack made sense.

One of the big issues they had at first was View Ports. Crytek did not like View Ports at all and they ran in to a game block. View Ports are like your sitting in your ship flying around, you look to your left to see your friends ship but cannot see your friend looking back at you. With lumberjack you can. Say you have 5 friends playing on your one ship, each can look out a window and see others in different ships looking back at you.

The next problem was instance size. At first we were limited to maybe 8 people in one instance. That was not going to work as some ships might need 30 people in one ship. Lumberjack fixed that. Each ship is now its own instance inside the main instance. Naturally the more ships in a system the more instances it will need... Instances can be spread across servers to make things even bigger.

Currently the biggest ship they have demonstrated flying is the Idris, a sort of mini carrier. They want to be able to handle several Idris class ships plus a bunch of single player ships in one instance. The issue they have now is networking. Picture 30 people in one ship from all over the world fighting others from all over the world... yeah it gets complex.

So what the heck is this Sabre Raven that you get with the new Optane drive ?
Its really nothing special, a single pilot stealth ship specializing in EMP warfare. It will fly up to a ship and EMP it dropping its shields, now your friends can have at it. It will be a collectors items and many will want it as it will not go on sale.

If you want to learn more simply head over to youtube, search Star Citizen and the latest videos from Citizencon 2017 should come first. There is some pretty good stuff in those videos and show the current and planned state of the game.

My current ship line is...
Orgin 600i Luxury
890 Jump
Drake Dragonfly
Carrack
Hull A, B, C, E
Constellation
Sabre Raven
Arbiter
Super Hornet F7C-M
NOX
Starfarer Gemini
Sabre

Dang... I have a problem HAHA :)

Reactions: ELit3 and T_Minus

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Nice writeup ! And nice lineup.
You make me feel better about my ships (not cheap but not quite as many):p

Reactions: William

William

May 7, 2015
Its gets insane when you add them all up... there is that one page on your account where it gives a total amount pledged... ARGH just don't look LOL

Remember the big Holiday sale is coming up... DANG IT !
Don't really want anything tho so I am safe... maybe a Pioneer ??

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Considered Pioneer too, but too expensive @ single ship. I tend to buy a lot of the smaller ones... but maybe I melt some for a biggie someday. I think around Connie level is my limit per ship.

And total pledge is not so bad for me since I bought some aftermarket and got them gifted, so that value is not listed there;)

Reactions: William

William

May 7, 2015
The problem with the Pioneer is... once you build a base you would need people around to help run it and defend it. As I am mostly solo it would be hard for me to do.

It is a neat looking ship tho.

After market ship sales are risky, good luck and I hope nothing bad happens.
Believe me I have heard a great deal about the stuff that goes on.

A few of the ships on my list I melted to grab the 890 Jump, just had to have that one.
So I still need to unmelt those.

For those wondering what that means...
Say you buy a ship for $50
Now the next sale hits and you decide you don't really like that first ship you have two options.
You can melt it for $50 credit and use that to help buy the new one.
Or you can CCU that first ship as an upgrade and only pay the difference to get the new one.
Keep in mind some ship sales you cannot use credits for and others you might not be able to CCU to it.

You cannot buy all ships all the time. After a sale many will go unlisted and cannot be bought.
Some ships are limited sales like the 890J so the odd's they will come up for sale is not often. That's why I grabbed one when I could.

A while ago they raised prices on ships also. The first concept sale they will be the cheapest and only get more expensive as time goes on.

As many people were using credits to buy new concept ships resulting in low $'s incoming for these sales they stopped that. Now they do a War Bond Sale for new ships, these happen like a day early and only for cash at a reduced price. Later they become full price and you can usually use credits then.

All that might seem strange in some ways but there has been funny stuff going on for a long time that CR put a stop to.

Example... how do I get one of every ship in the game with out actually buying every one, even limited ships ?

It started like this... A player buys a high value ship with cash, then melts it for credits. Using those credits he buys the next ship, etc etc. soon he has every single ship but in his melted ship pool waiting to be bought back. You could do this as many times as you wanted.

So we had limited ships get bought up real fast with this method, people who actually had cash and wanted one were getting left out in the cold and no extra money coming in to SC. After market guys would sell a ship outside SC, use the cash to unmelt and gift to some one else. See where I am going with this ? People had huge fleets in the unmelt pool waiting for outside sales. Trust me SC has been on track with this and deleted many ships and people who paid cash got shafted.

Now we get one buy back tolken per quarter, this means you can only unmelt one ship every 3 months. Yeah lots not happy with that new rule.

Last edited: