Stacking on Cisco 3750G

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
I set up stacking between two 3750G switches and yesterday, installed a 2nd stack cable among them. I noticed the "stack" light is not on either one. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be on? How can I absolutely confirm via CLI that the stacking cables are indeed in effect? I'm 99% the 1st is. It was installed 2 weeks ago and via CLI, show run shows 48 ports (24 per switch) so that's all go but I also want to confirm the 2nd as well.

Original output

Code:
Cisco3750#sh switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1           Ok          Down
    2           Ok          Down
Google search, found a link that explained looping
Each 3750 switch’s back has two stack ports 1 and 2.
Suppose you want to connect two switches with two stack cables:
1st switch port 1 connects to 2nd switch port 2.
1st switch port 2 connects to 1st switch port 1.
The stack cables will be crossed.
So I tried this. Powered off, looped stacking cables as suggested by others, powered on. Shows the loop (port 1 to port 2, vice versa) but 2nd cable still not registering. That's my issue here. I'm trying to get the full ring config and 32GB ring speed (full capacity).

Code:
Cisco3750#sh switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1           Ok          Down
    2          Down          Ok  

Cisco3750#show switch stack-ring speed

Stack Ring Speed        : 16G
Stack Ring Configuration: Half
Stack Ring Protocol     : StackWise

sag

Apr 26, 2013
Looks like that second cable isn't recognized. What I would try is reseating the second cable. Then try swapping the first and second cable since we know the first is working. When they are swapped if the second port set starts working then there is a bad cable. If it does not start working then it is a bad port/switch most likely.

Reactions: Jon Massey