SSL With DDNS And OpenVPN?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I'm trying to get some things set up on my file server and am having difficulty setting up a SSL cert and I believe it's because I'm using PIA as a VPN on my PFsense firewall and No-IP for my DDNS. Am I hosed? I'm not sure if it matters but I'm trying to set up NextCloud and OpenOffice. If this configuration isn't possible What are my options? I'm happy to get a static IP but I'm leery of abandoning the VPN.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I would say it's more likely that he is interested in a configuration that is rare enough that no one else is doing the same.

If I am understanding it correctly, he wants to expose the nextcloud service on the IP-address provided to him by PIA.
That sounded interesting, so I researched it a bit/gave it some thought:
It will require that the DDNS configuration points to the PIA IP and not his own.
It will also require that PIA either forwards all incoming connections to to his own IP or at the very least allows him to configure port forwarding of select ports to him, according to the PIA support portal they support the latter.
It will probably also require some sort of configuration on the pfsense firewall to allow connections via the VPN to go to the nextcloud server (which may require NAT configuration - but I am not sure).