SSH disconnects

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

I have a weird issue with my local network.

From my windows desktop - when I SSH directly to one of my servers in my rack I get random disconnects - I have tried turning on SSH keep alive and tcp keep alive, but nothing matters. my ubuntu terminal in windows says: Connection reset by 192.168.0.182 port 22 - putty gives a "Network error: Network error: Software caused connection abort"

I thought it was my switches that was the issue.

My machine is connected to a unmanaged switch (tp link), which connects to a Netgear XS708T, which then connects to a Brocade switch which then connects to a Mellanox switch.

The servers that I connect to are connected to the Mellanox switch.

The weird part is that if I connect to my firewall, which is connected to the XS708T and then ssh to either of the servers - then its rock stable.
Both my connection to the firewall, but also the firewall's connection to the servers.

So even though it seems weird, its like five hops are too much, i.e. my machine -> unmanaged switch (tp link) -> netgear ->brocade -> mellanox -> server

But then again, my firewall are in the same position as I am firewall ->netgear ->brocade ->mellanox -> server - except for the lack of an unmanaged switch.

My connection to my firewall is rock stable, but anything from there are just unstable. Even if I ssh to either the brocade switch or mellanox switch i get disconnected fast.

I have tried removing the unmanaged switch that my pc is connected directly to, but that does not change anything.

I have no VLAN's on my LAN.

All my managed switches are running with jumbo frames enabled.

Any bright ideas on what could be causing these disconnects?

Thanks

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Just tried plugging in another computer to the same unmanaged switch my pc is connected to - and surprise - its rock stable - so I guess my machine is the culprit.

I then need to figure out what the hell is wrong, whether its the driver or the nic that is broken.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Installed latest intel driver pack 25.0 and it has been stable so far since that - before that I could not keep a ssh connection for 1 minute.
I thought Intel made good drivers - apparently not :)

Note to self and others - check if you are running latest driver, if not upgrade :)

Last edited: