UK SSD Toshiba HK4R THNSN8960PCSE 960GB £59.99/$79

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjswe

Aug 23, 2020

Seller took offer for 4 pcs £56 each. Shipping £17 to Sweden (Bought 26 March, arrived in Sweden April 1:st)

Described as laptop-drives in the listing but are Enterprise SSD:s.

Attached image from CrystalDiskInfo + smartctl-info for two drives. 30-40TB writes as it looks. No errors.

1648829330826.png

Attachments

Reactions: ecosse and Samir

tjswe

Aug 23, 2020
~16 GB/day writes average. With it having 1 DWPD and a 5 year warranty i think there are a bit left (1.7 PB)

Reactions: Samir

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It isn't from EU though, they are in the UK so liable to VAT fees.

I am not too fond of Toshiba SSDs, they like to hold the firmware to themselves.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I think they are in great shape.

Its EMLC NAND and if they have written 30-40TB each its nothing and they can go on for a very long time - so I think I will grab a couple :)

Thanks for the link

Edit: Sent an offer for 40 GBP ex VAT for 8 - lets see what the seller says
Edit2: Offer accepted - but ebay's global shipping programm ripped me off and took 29 GBP for shipping 8 tiny SSD's. (I hate global shipping programme)

Last edited:
Reactions: tjswe and Samir

tjswe

Aug 23, 2020
It isn't from EU though, they are in the UK so liable to VAT fees.

I am not too fond of Toshiba SSDs, they like to hold the firmware to themselves.
Of course, its not EU any more. Sorry! Yes VAT fees were added. For me still a good price due to availability here in Sweden.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Took a while to dig down and verify it does have capacitors for power off protection (e.g. what Ceph loves to have).

PLP (Power Loss Protection): PLP supports to record data in buffer memory to NAND flash memory, utilizing back up power of solid capacitor in case of sudden supply shut down.
Let's see if they deliver to the other side of the pond.

Found the PDF:

Last edited:
Reactions: ecosse and Samir

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Do these ship to the US? I didn't see it in the eBay description

tonkyhonk

Feb 3, 2021
Doesn't look like it.
Antigua and Barbuda​
Cambodia​
Estonia​
Hungary​
Lithuania​
Oman​
Singapore​
United Kingdom​
Aruba​
Cayman Islands​
Finland​
Iceland​
Luxembourg​
Pakistan​
Slovakia​
Uruguay​
Austria​
China​
France​
Indonesia​
Macau​
Panama​
Slovenia​
Bahamas​
Colombia​
French Guiana​
Ireland​
Malaysia​
Paraguay​
South Africa​
Bahrain​
Costa Rica​
Germany​
Israel​
Maldives​
Philippines​
Spain​
Bangladesh​
Croatia, Republic of​
Gibraltar​
Italy​
Malta​
Poland​
Sri Lanka​
Barbados​
Cyprus​
Greece​
Jamaica​
Martinique​
Portugal​
Sweden​
Belgium​
Czech Republic​
Grenada​
Jersey​
Mexico​
Qatar​
Switzerland​
Belize​
Denmark​
Guadeloupe​
Jordan​
Monaco​
Reunion​
Taiwan​
Bermuda​
Dominica​
Guatemala​
Korea, South​
Montserrat​
Romania​
Thailand​
Bolivia​
Dominican Republic​
Guernsey​
Kuwait​
Netherlands​
Saint Kitts-Nevis​
Trinidad and Tobago​
Brunei Darussalam​
Egypt​
Honduras​
Latvia​
Nicaragua​
Saint Lucia​
Turks and Caicos Islands​
Bulgaria​
El Salvador​
Hong Kong​
Liechtenstein​
Norway​
Saudi Arabia​
United Arab Emirates​

tjswe

Aug 23, 2020
Check with them. Often if eBay-sellers sells mainly to domestic customers they forget or miss ticking boxes with countries, and if you ask they add your country or arrange shipping anyway.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I've been messaging them for several days and we tried to place an order to the US. Unfortunately, United States isn't on the list of acceptable shipping addresses. He was kind enough to cancel the order, saying:

> we use the Global Shipping Program we do not select individual countries to include or exclude. I ship items to the US regularly. I'm not sure why the US is greyed out unless there is a block on the types of products that can be included in the scheme?
Maybe a category restriction? Like, encrypted SSDs aren't allowed for export controls or something?

But, Mexico is on the listed of accepted countries?!

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Edit: Sent an offer for 40 GBP ex VAT for 8 - lets see what the seller says
Edit2: Offer accepted - but ebay's global shipping programm ripped me off and took 29 GBP for shipping 8 tiny SSD's. (I hate global shipping programme)
Im very tempted to try a offer for 12 at 35.

the global ship price of 12 units to Norway is same as i normally pay for a 800-1200kg pallet from UK tho.
Id expect seller to have put dimensions of a packed unit on listing, so global ship then multiplies that up and expects it to be a massive box it has to ship international.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Im very tempted to try a offer for 12 at 35.

the global ship price of 12 units to Norway is same as i normally pay for a 800-1200kg pallet from UK tho.
Id expect seller to have put dimensions of a packed unit on listing, so global ship then multiplies that up and expects it to be a massive box it has to ship international.
That is because Global shipping programme is a rip off - and only lazy sellers use that. Because its easy - they don't really care about their customers.

The only good thing you can say about global shipping programme - is that you know up front how much you will pay - no surprises when you receive the items, since they also collect any VAT/Toll required.

But their shipping charges are borderline criminal.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
That is because Global shipping programme is a rip off - and only lazy sellers use that. Because its easy - they don't really care about their customers.
The stupid part is especialy how extreme the variations are between simular listings.

Like a recent order i did of 30x 1400w server psus from US, i paid 153$ shipping with the global system.
While from other suppliers 30 of the same unit was from 300 to 450$.

The 12x the ssd in listing here come to 142$ with global, while with other sellers simular drives are 25-40$ for 12.
i would assume this comes down to if seller puts accurate info or not on size/weight.

Reactions: NablaSquaredG

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
The stupid part is especialy how extreme the variations are between simular listings.

Like a recent order i did of 30x 1400w server psus from US, i paid 153$ shipping with the global system.
While from other suppliers 30 of the same unit was from 300 to 450$.

The 12x the ssd in listing here come to 142$ with global, while with other sellers simular drives are 25-40$ for 12.
i would assume this comes down to if seller puts accurate info or not on size/weight.
I am not sure weight is part of the equation - I think the price you pay for GSP is mostly based on the value of the goods.

So I think you might not pay a lot to get a metric ton of "shit" shipped - but pay quite a lot to get a single bar of gold shipped.

Which is some way is fair, since gold is worth more than shit - but I think they calculate "shipping" insurance at some crazy levels.