SSD errors on HPE MicroServer Gen10+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

randman

May 3, 2020
I have the HPE MicroServer Gen10+ server running VMWare ESXi 6.7 U3 (HPE's 2020-03-01 custom image).
I installed a Samsung SSD (960GB, model 883 DCT, made 2/2020). In VMWare's logs, I kept getting this event (could be a couple of times a minute):

"Lost access to volume due to connectivity issues. Recovery attempt is in progress and outcome will be reported shortly."

This VMWare KB accurately shows the symptoms of the problem that I am having:

In addition to the timeout/connectivity logs, activities that entail usage of the SSD take a lot longer than they should. Occasionally, one of my VMs becomes unresponsive due to the errors.

I thought that this issue may be due to the Samsung 883 DCT SSD, so I sent the SSD to Samsung. Samsung ran a battery of tests against the SSD, and the SSD passed all the tests. The SSD already had the latest firmware that was available as of July 2020. I got the SSD back from Samsung, and tried to use it again. But, I was still getting the "lost access to volume" error.

So, I got a new 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (manufactured around 3/2020). I installed it in the HPE server. Same problem. It gets "Lost access to volume..." errors.

I opened a ticket against HPE, and after over a week, they said that, well, they suspect a possible firmware incompatibility between the Samsung and HPE server. They suggested trying the 240GB HPE SSD mentioned in the HPE server's Quick Specs document. Not only is the HPE SSD only a quarter of the size of the Samsung SSDs but it even costs more than the Samsung 883 DCT enterprise SSD. Another suggestion they had was to potentially replace the controller in my HPE server.

I said, well, the fact that I've had trouble with two different (but quite common) Samsung SSD drives, which meet SATA specs, leads me to believe that this is an issue with the HPE server. But, as I was afraid, they said, well, it's not in their official compatibility list....

Anyway, I'm wondering if others have had issues with SSDs in their HPE MicroServer Gen10+. If you're not having trouble, what brand and model of SSD are you using (and what operating system are you running)?

EDIT: my server has latest SPP from March 2020. I just noticed that there is June 2020 updated software from HPE, but this appears to only have Intel-related security vulnerability fixes, which would be unrelated to any SSD error issues.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
It’s not like HPE didn’t in the past make extensive use of Samsung PM863 sata drives so you would think they basically should be compatible

randman

May 3, 2020
I have the Samsung 883 DCT Enterprise SSD which was getting errors/timeouts. The STH HPE Customization article said HPE had sent them a Samsung PM883 SSD, which is another model SSD. I thought at first it was just my Samsung 883 SSD, so I sent it back to Samsung. They tested it and found no problems so they sent it back to me. So I bought a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, which also had read timeout errors. This is a very popular SSD so was surprised that it too had problems. I’m now using a very old Samsung 840 SSD and so far I haven’t seen time-out errors. Still in testing mode. I wonder if I should also try the Samsung PM883.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Try to find some HPE branded Samsung pm863 drives, HPE has sold then from 240gb upto 3.84tb, no experience if they work but they older but not too old enterprise sata drives.

randman

May 3, 2020
I don’t see much Samsung PM863 availability online, and would prefer not getting a used one. I see more PM883, and wondering if that would work well.

randman

May 3, 2020
Well, HPE sent me an HPE 240GB SSD (an "officially" supported SSD - it's the model mentioned in the HPE MicroServer Gen10+'s QuickSpecs document). Well, same problem as before (Lost access errors with VMWare). So far, I still have an open ticket against HPE on this, but not much movement on their side.

Is anyone else using their HPE MicroServer Gen10+ with VMWare and an SSD (and not getting these "Lost Access" errors [these can be seen in vCenter->[Select SSD]-?Monitor->Tasks and Events->Events)? If so, what SSD (brand/model) are you using?