SSD Drives on LSI 9207-8i vs. on-board SATA2 help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BarrettUSA

Feb 16, 2020
I hope someone with more knowledge can help me please. I have a HP Z800 and just added the LSI 9207-8i so my SSD drives can run at 6Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s with the on-board SATA2 controller.

I can't get the Samsung Magician software to see the SSDs so my questions are...

Will the SSDs work well using the LSI card as I can't use the Samsung software for OP etc. which it says will help the drive last longer?

Is SATA2 (3Gb/s) in-conjunction with Samsung Magician Rapid Mode better (faster) than the LSI 6Gb/s without Rapid Mode for the main boot drive (I have a 1TB boot drive with apps like Adobe suite and VMware workstation, all the other SSDs have virtual machines on them)?

Will TRIM work to maintain SSDs on the LSI controller, is this a Windows 10 thing as I can't use the Magician software?

Thank you all for any help with this!!!!

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Maybe you plug it into the SATA port and set things the way you want:
* check latest firmware
* set overprovisioning (this should then be retained in a new controller)

and then put it back into the SAS port.

You won't be able to use Rapid mode, but as far as I know that's just a cache in RAM, which isn't really that special.

Don't know about TRIM.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
The Samsung Magician Software doesn't work with LSI at all. In my honest opinion, you don't need the software at all. The Rapid Mode is nothing else than another 'cache solution'. Look at Primo Cache if you are really interested in caching software. I had some good experience with EnhanceIO as well.