SSD deals

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i like this HGST HUSMM8080 drives, but pre-production makes me hesitate just a little bit. Anyone know the difference? FW seems to be A080, while prod versions i have are A210; seems like quite the difference. It is easy to update the FW on these pre-prod units?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Newbie question..
What add in card or converter is required to to use the 3.2TB Micron 9100 PRO NVME U.2
on a SuperMicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Mini-ITX | 5028D-TN4T
You could add it to the m.2 slot with this cable U.2 to M.2 SSD cable - Replacement U.2 to M.2 Cable for PCIe* NVMe supporting Intel® Solid State Drives - SSD Spare Parts if you have a place to keep it cool within the chassis.
That would save you the x16 slot.

If you want to use the slot you must look for a low profile card (which is more complicated as the drive cannot be mounted directly onto the card).
Expensive example 1: PCI express to Mini SAS Card SFF-8643 to PCI-e NVMe U.2 Cable for Intel 750 SSD | eBay
There are other cards i can't seem to find with a short pciE extension cable

Alternatively if somebody can chime in regarding bifurcation support you can get either

no bifurcation:
AOC-SLG3-2E4 | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. or AOC-SLG3-4E2P | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

bifurcation:
AOC-SLG3-4E4T | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
AOC-SLG3-2E4T | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
(or the appropriate card with U2 instead of occulink cable)

Reactions: KC8FLB and anomaly

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
You could add it to the m.2 slot with this cable U.2 to M.2 SSD cable - Replacement U.2 to M.2 Cable for PCIe* NVMe supporting Intel® Solid State Drives - SSD Spare Parts if you have a place to keep it cool within the chassis.
That would save you the x16 slot.

If you want to use the slot you must look for a low profile card (which is more complicated as the drive cannot be mounted directly onto the card).
Expensive example 1: PCI express to Mini SAS Card SFF-8643 to PCI-e NVMe U.2 Cable for Intel 750 SSD | eBay
There are other cards i can't seem to find with a short pciE extension cable

Alternatively if somebody can chime in regarding bifurcation support you can get either

no bifurcation:
AOC-SLG3-2E4 | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. or AOC-SLG3-4E2P | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

bifurcation:
AOC-SLG3-4E4T | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
AOC-SLG3-2E4T | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
(or the appropriate card with U2 instead of occulink cable)
I second the Intel cables... excellent price for quality parts. I grabbed some earlier this year.

There are some cheaper alternatives for the U.2 bracket I found after scouting eBay and Aliexpress for a while. I also don't think it would be hard to manufacture some PCBs for the purpose, the part count is super low.

I own one of the pre-prod 800G HGST units BTW... I will test soon.

Looking for dirt cheap SAS2 SSDs for a eSXI build right now, and missed past week's deal.... ha!