SR-IOV Added to ASRock X370 Taichi Ryzen motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick_M

Mar 30, 2017
Even though the IOMMU situation is still pretty rocky on this AM4 platform, it appears that ASRock have beaten everyone to the punch and also added SR-IOV support to their X370 motherboard lineup.

Once all of this stuff is confirmed to be working, this will be a fun platform for the prosumer.

Hope you don't mind, I added a screenshot of the BIOS to my twitter account.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Quite interesing. I think its the very first time I hear about SR-IOV support in a consumer Motherboard Firmware. Sadly, as far that I know, there aren't a lot of cards than that can be used with. I think only some enterprise Intel NICs cards and very recent AMD FirePros can use SR-IOV to spawn Virtual Functions, and if you are going to use such expensive gear, chances are that you prefer to wait for a full blown Naples that sticking to consumer Ryzen.

In the case of the FirePros, I don't even know how they work, or if they are actually fully working. They need Hypervisor support, and last time I checked they were only supported VMWare products.
For Linux/KVM, VFIO was developing a vGPU interface that was going to be used by both Intel IGPs for GVT-g (XenGT/KVMGT) and nVidia Grids, but AMD didn't appeared on that party. I suppose than there has to be a Driver in the host that you can configure to cap each VF resources or something like that, or maybe to pair a VF with a specific video output. Would love to see some solid info and first hand experience about how they work.

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
Wow, I am happy to report that the 2.20 BIOS adds SR-IOV support to even my lowly Asrock AB350 Pro 4!!