Squid Cache on pfSense - can you define an ACL?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
We've got a gaggle of servers that all pull data from a few specific sources on HTTP or HTTPS servers

IPaddress/archive/filea.tar.gz
IPaddress/archive/fileb.tar.gz

Both filea.tar.gz and fileb.tar.gz are big. If we can get pfSense to cache them it'd cut down our bandwidth usage by a lot.

I don't want anything else to be cached. Is there a good guide on how to do this? It's only like 20 files. The names and locations stay the same, but the get updated periodically so the proxy server would need to check if they're the same before allowing the cached copy download.

tssrshot

Mar 18, 2015
Omaha, NE
We're just talking about this same concept in a thread I just updated. We're doing this same thing, but you do have to write a little but of dynamic squid config. It does need to compare them to determine validity. You will need to sort out CA Certs or WPAD config if you intend to do HTTPS though. PFSense has a great set of examples in their Squid section for how to write the config. Let me know if you want to chat more about how or what!