Spotted - 2 Interesting Auctions incl Redudnant PSUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Was searching for the other thread on the G2020 server and saw this one:
Supermicro Server Tower | eBay

Looks like 3x PSUs in a 4U tower/ server Supermicro with 10 hot swap drives up font. Could be a good deal if the auction price doesn't go high enough. Picture labels it as a Xeon server but no idea what's inside.

The second one looks really awesome. Counted like 11 expansion slots. Apparently a dual Xeon 5520 based system that can handle up to 4x GPUs incl double width coolers!!! Here is the supermicro link Supermicro | Products | SuperServer | Tower | 7046GT-TRF

Here is the $350 on ebay link. Supermicro 7046GT TRF X8DTG QF Tower Rack Server 2XPS No CPU RAM HD 672042054367 | eBay

From the pic can see redundant 1400w gold PSUs and 8x3.5 hot swap.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
That supermicro looks slick. Wonder how loud that is. Looks like a big rear fan.

vv111y

May 6, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Wow, thanks MiniKnight. PCIe 2.0, but what a price difference

1) will get 2x 16GB sticks here Samsung 16GB DDR3 1333 MHz PC3 10600 R ECC Registered 1x 16g Server Memory RAM | eBay

2) looks like could probably upgrade mobo to the latest whenever Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRG-QF . Then it's the same as a new GPU workstation for a fraction of the cost. RAM above is compatible

3) on the look out for the CPU's, if someone here has some or knows the right seller that would be much appreciated

4) probably pick PCIe 2.0 GPUs. GPUs are turning over fast, so picking current gen is needless cost.

5) Check out the review here Supermicro SuperServer 7046GT-TRF; The Ultimate Workstation . What a glowing review :cool:

So barebones is a keeper, upgrade mobo/CPU/GPUs when budget is better. I offered $300, see what happens.

nethel

Jan 9, 2013
3) on the look out for the CPU's, if someone here has some or knows the right seller that would be much appreciated
I've got 2x 5630's that will be pulled from the DL180 I just picked up I'm looking to part with.

johan

May 19, 2013
These are nice. I just ordered one off those - arriving next week. Will update on the forum.

For ram : Ordered 4 x Kingston Technology ValueRAM 16 GB 1333MHz DDR3 PC3-10666 ECC... : amazon has them for 128$

I am going to use as a napp-it / esxi server so no interest in the GPU's thought might pickup a chip PCIe one for the hell of it. Ordering the 10 4tb drives on both newegg and amazon (they have both 149$ / limit 3 seagates on sale)

Still looking for CPU : number of cheap quad core to more expansive six-core options.

Thanks for spotting!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Very cool! Would love to see your build with these.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great! I'm also interested to see what the noise levels are with those and what type of motherboard mount points they have. Would be super if not too loud AND they had standard ATX/ SSI mount points.

vv111y

May 6, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Alright, took a while but I've got it home, fwiw here's a quickie vid I did for the box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-3en4OQwY

Had it running a few hours with phoronix test suite. It's like they purposely tried to make this thing as loud as they could. Obnoxious.
I pulled all 4 mid-case fans out and it was still loud. The PSU fans run all the time, even when the machine is not turned on. You have to unplug it to get them to stop. Tiny, whiny things.
I'm definitely going to water cool this and get it quite.
N.B. I'm used to very quiet, the buzz from wall-warts across the room bug me.

Thanks for the xeons nethel, working good.

I'll put up more info later.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Yeah i picked up a rack mount case recently with triple reduntant PS in it. Way too loud with the fans, way too loud without the fans too. The powersupply is basically unusable for me. And even worse, the powersupply, with NO load on it, just shorting the green wire, draws like 140 watts. Thats triple my current home server with all drives spinning. I've had 1 PS fail in my life, and I know why it happened. I don't think my applications require triple redundancy at that operating cost and noise.

That being said, if I had a garage to put it in and free power, I'd be using it now.