Splitting up the AIO

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by jahsoul, May 15, 2018.

1. jahsoul

jahsoul Member

Build’s Name #1: Main Server
    Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi 6.7
    CPU: 2x E5-2650Lv3 (12c/24t, 1.8ghz, 65W TDP)
    Motherboard: Supermicro X10DRL-CT-O
    Chassis: Be Quiet! Silent Base 600
    Drives: ADATA ISMS331 16GB sata dom (boot) (future purchase)
    RAM: 128GB (SK Hynix 8 x 16GB DDR4 ECC 2133mhz)
    Add-in Cards: Intel X520-DA2
    Power Supply: EVGA 650 GQ
    Other Bits: Future Buys: Supermicro Supercap, 4x HGST HE10 SAS, Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 with a couple of NVMEs to go with them

Usage Profile: Server for all of my home services, as well as a backup storage server

Other information… While I'm going away from an AIO, I'm still going to keep some elements, such as storage but I'm only using this for backup storage. Will just have an array of 4 drives for backup purposes from my storage/media box and hopefully next year, purchase an external tape drive and just send those backups to my parents house or storage. This server will be used for majority of the services that I use in my house. Since I'm separating everything out, I probably could have went with a single CPU server but I already bought the X10DRL-CT-O for CHEAP and had the CPUs laying around collecting dust, so I said screw it.

Build’s Name #2: Storage/Media
    Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi 6.7 (Xpenology & Debian for Emby and Logitech Media Server)
    CPU: E5-2630L v4 (10c/20t, 1.8ghz, 55w TDP)
    Motherboard: Asrock X99 Extreme4
    Chassis: Silverstone Grandia GD07B
    Drives: Current- Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB (boot); Intel 520 180GB SSD (Datastore); 5x3TB WD Red; Future Buys-6xHGST He10 SATA; 2xHGST He8 SATA
    RAM: 64GB (SK Hynix 4 x 16GB DDR4 ECC 2133mhz)
    Add-in Cards: Broadcom Dual Gig Nic (forgot which one), Intel X520-DA2, LSI (Dell) 9217-8i, HD6450 Passive GPU
    Power Supply: EVGA 650 GQ
    Other Bits: Icy Dock MB453IPF (x2)

Usage Profile: Storage and media

Other information… After going with an AIO for a while, I really wanted to separate my storage and media to it's own server. Was really going for a Supermicro X10SRM and U-Nas 810A but decided to save a couple of hundred bucks and just use the X99 Extreme4 motherboard that wouldn't sell (LOL) since it's brand new and unused. Also went with a Silverstone Grandia since it had 4 5.25 bays. Wish I could find something in that form factor that had 6, but I digress.

Build’s Name #3: Lab Server
    Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi 6.7
    CPU: 2x E5-2650L v2 (10c/20t, 1.8ghz, 75w TDP)
    Motherboard: Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F-O
    Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Pro
    Drives: Later
    RAM:
    192GB DDR3 (4xHynix 32GB DDR3 ECC/4xHynix 16GB DDR3 ECC)
    Add-in Cards: Later
    Power Supply: Later
    Other Bits: Later

Usage Profile: Lab server for various things that I'm studying and testing for work
    Other information… So having an all in one with your lab setup can get really messy. lol. With me needing to study and test more things, the need for a standalone server became apparent. I'm going to repurpose some of my old gear and use for this lab box. Will use this for IE and SANS studies and a test bed for work related stuff.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    K D and T_Minus like this.
  2. jahsoul

jahsoul Member

Finally got around to start building this thing out and ran into the first issue. I should have done a little more research on the Icy Dock MB453IPF. For some reason, I thought that it had a 3-pin and I was so wrong..lol. The fan is connected to a notched latch that clips into the bay. Since I already bought fans for it, I just said screw it and clipped off the hooks, tossed the fan, and slid the fan in there. Just have to plug it up directly to the board now. I'm trying to make this as streamless as possibe, since I'm also planning on having a standalone AD.

3. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Why not do the home services, and storage/media in one? Are you really going to be utilizing 3x E5s for storage and media? Then do a sep. one for your lab (I learned that too with trying AIO).

4. jahsoul

jahsoul Member

I really wanted to separate as much as I could and everything I had ended up being cheaper than expected. I had it planned out to get get an E3 for storage, have media on the main server, but got the E5-2630Lv4 from ShepsCrook for only $50 more than I would have getting the E3-1265Lv4 that I was eyeing.

Although I'm separating most things out, a main motivator was to really start using the stuff that I have to clear up space around the house.

When I move, I'm probably going to do everything over again. *eyeballing this SC846 in my closet collecting dust*

5. nk215

nk215 Active Member

One of the main points of AOI setup is:

+ Fast 10G internal network speed between your computing VMs and storage VM.

+ Save electricity, save space/noise.

If you don't need or want the above 2 points then go separate.

There are certain VMs that shouldn't be part of the AOI (but many ppl do). Firewall, VPN, anything that controls your connection to the outside.

6. Nnyan

Nnyan Member

I went from having an AIO for a few years then started dividing things up a bit. Got tired of the family complaining that something or other was down when I had to reboot for an unrelated VM.

7. jahsoul

jahsoul Member

Plans are scrapped for now but I'm happy with the direction it's going. The X10DRL-CT threw me off because it only has 3 PCIe slots and didn't support bifurcation, so that has been delegated to lab server duties. I picked up a Datto D1541D4U off eBay for $325, so this is what I'm going to be using for my storage, media, and secondary DNS server. I'm trying to source a U-Nas 810A stateside before paying that crazy shipping. I'm also moving to a Xeon Gold 6138 single CPU build with 192GB or 256GB of RAM (still debating). Everything will still be separated but I'm going with a "smaller" footprint for everything. Upgrading my AP but downsizing my switch (48 port + 2 SFP+ to 14 port + 2 SFP+ fanless) and changing my Sophos router hardware. I should be getting everything within the next 2 weeks and will finally get everything in place. Just finding the U-Nas case and decided on with motherboard I want to use.