Somebody recommend me a good HD test program (Windows)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Don't trust HD Sentinel. Need something that can see ALL drives, not just SATA drives hooked to the on board controller.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Um... the program you are looking for is HDSentinel. It sees everything, afaict.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain your lack of trust in hard disk sentinel? Saying something like that seems dubious/ludicrous/FUD.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
HD Sentinel will peg a HD as bad when OEM diags, i.e Seatools, WD Diags, etc. Will find nothing wrong with the drive. HD Sentinel uses terms not found in any other program. It's gotten to the point where If it says a HD is bad, I have my doubts. I don't trust it therefor I'm looking for something else. The main issue is all other programs, i.e. CrystalDiskInfo, etc. Will not detect a drive hooked to a RAID controller, HBA. Hell, Even HGST's own WinDFT will only see ATA / SATA drives hooked to MB controllers. So how am I supposed to check HGST SAS drives.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
CRAP !! Just let me add that I'm simply asking if anyone knows of an alternative, I'm not looking to get in a pissing match with HD Sentinel fans. :rolleyes:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Even HGST's own WinDFT will only see ATA / SATA drives hooked to MB controllers. So how am I supposed to check HGST SAS drives.
The HGST Partner Tools can do it. You probably want HiTest: "HiTest is developed to support HGST HDD distributors or customers of distributors focused on customer Line Integration Reject or Field Reject Failure Diagnostics. This software can be given to distributors or their customers."

There's a second tool called Niagara which comes in both field and factory versions. The field version performs tests and collects logs (it is scriptable, and can also talk to the drive's separate serial diagnostic port), while the factory version provides log analysis and syndrome-based diagnostic paths in addition.

A search for either of those program names in conjunction with "HGST" might provide something, but beware of landing on "keyword spammer" sites.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks Terry. Did a quick search and couldn't find a DL link. I'll keep looking.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Don't use it myself, but how does smartmontools for windows stack up...? There's apparently a GUIfied version called gsmartcontrol as well if you prefer that to CLI.
Download – smartmontools

Gauging the healthiness of a drive is always going to be a bit hit-and-miss IME, even with the manufacturers' SMART utils. smartmontools generally keep pretty good track of new SMART attrs and drives and the like so might be worthwhile to give it a go even if only as a fallback option.