Some suggestions for Home Server Rack/Virtualization

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Hi,

I recently purchased a Dell C6100 and I've been thinking to do some neat things with it. One of which is turn it into a 4 node virtual host. What has stumbled me is the shared storage...

I already have an 12 disk FreeNAS server white box. I want my VMs to be hosted on a SSD storage so I can get the best speed out of things. One thing I could do I guess is to add an external SAS SFF-8088 connection and have an SAS expander on the Norco 4224 with the SSDs. Is this an good approach or should I just build a new NAS storage in my Norco 4224? I am worried that my current FreeNAS 32GB host may not be good enough for the SSDs.

If I build a new standalone shared storage, what software should I put on it? FreeNAS? Or should I get a low profile LSI card with external connection and make one node a storage node as well?

For back end networking, I have that covered with a few InfiniBand cards so it will not saturate the network that quickly.

I would like to hear some feed back on my setup above and what do you guys typically do to solve this issue.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
What virtualization platform are you using? Maybe use something that gives you clustered storage on the C6100.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I think you're already after centralised storage and not anything local. Clustered will probably give too much overhead to your likings in a setup this small?

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Yeah, I think what I said above leans towards centralized storage. How could I set this up as local? Use 1 node as storage node while NFS mount on the other nodes?