Some information about HP T620 Plus Flexible Thin Client machines for network appliance builds...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
no fancy GUI, but yes, similar... mine is about 40C:

Code:
[root@firewall ~]# sensors
radeon-pci-0008
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +40.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)
fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:           N/A  (crit =  24.99 W)
k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +39.9°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +99.0°C)

rpotter28

Nov 20, 2018
7/9/18: confirmed the screws to hold down the mSATA and mini-PCI are indeed M1.6 threads and can take at least a 4mm long screw. however, most M1.6 threaded screws do not have a large enough head to hold down a standard mSATA SSD card so you will need to add a washer. I found some black nylon M2 washers that did the job. i also found screws that would work out of the box, but they were very expensive ($50 for box of 100) - if you insist, search for "M1.6 wafer head screws".
My unit shipped with a mSATA drive, but had the M.2 slot free. So I *stole* the black screw from the front, near the DisplayPorts and it works perfectly for holding the M.2 drive I added!

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I did something smilar too, just cannot remember which screw I took, though for the mSATA :)
My unit shipped with a mSATA drive, but had the M.2 slot free. So I *stole* the black screw from the front, near the DisplayPorts and it works perfectly for holding the M.2 drive I added!

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Unless you find out by then, i will be able to confirm it in 2 weeks. Have 2x16GB SODIMM incoming.
Any luck with the 16GB DIMMs? Also, were you able to get the downgrade on the BIOS done? If not, I'll ping my HP guy so he can walk me through the process.

rpotter28

Nov 20, 2018
I haven't seen it in this thread, but you can do a pfSsense serial install absolutely no problem on the t620 plus. Meaning you don't need a vga install and a DisplayPort to HDMI converter if that was what you were thinking.

Eugeni

Dec 23, 2018
Also, when you are getting into that price range, you might be better off getting a SFF Dell 7020 / 9020 or HP Elitedesk 600 / 800 G1 with an I5( for AES-NI) $150 range. Granted more power draw and bigger in size but gives you lot more flexibility and bang for the buck. .. my 2¢ :)
Currently I have version 2.4.4-p1 installed on an HP EliteDesk 600 G1 working perfectly. I also had the pfsense on an HP Thin Client T610 Plus and right now I am waiting for the arrival of the HP Thin Client T620 Plus.
In my case, electric consumption is an important issue since it is a device connected 24 hours 365 days a year.
The step from the T610 Plus to the EliteDesk 600 G1 has been thinking about AES-NI since the HP Thin Client T610 Plus does not support it in the next version 2.5 of the pfSense.
The 30w consumption that currently uses the EliteDesk 600 G1 will be drastically reduced to just 10w with the energy and economic savings that means.
Best regards from Catalonia

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I've T620 for pfSense also but with slightly older Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad NIC and my power draw was about 20W.
My comment above was regarding T730 and it's pricing at that time was over $200. It might have come down by now.

Eugeni

Dec 23, 2018
I've T620 for pfSense also but with slightly older Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad NIC and my power draw was about 20W.
My comment above was regarding T730 and it's pricing at that time was over $200. It might have come down by now.
I had planned to install an Intel I350-T4 PCI-Express PCI-E Gigabit RJ45 Four ports. When I install it I will check the consumption.
Best regards

seaverd

Dec 28, 2018
I just purchased an hp t620 plus and i350 quad nic card and am getting ready to install pfsense.

Is there any consensus on the best/recommended bios? I see that that June or July 2018 which is version 2.18 is the latest available...but then someone in this thread posted the bios changelog which indicated that from 2.15 on they fixed an issue which prevents reverting the bios to an earlier version. Another post has an image all set for 2.17....so any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

PS - I don't know what version of the bios my HP t620 has as I only have one display port monitor and cable and it runs from first floor to basement. Basically because my cabling is difficult to get to, I need to do bios update immediately followed by pfsense install. So I am looking for opinions in advance.

Thanks,

Dan

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Any luck with the 16GB DIMMs? Also, were you able to get the downgrade on the BIOS done? If not, I'll ping my HP guy so he can walk me through the process.

@WANg finally got the sodimms through customs..
OwnDrive

more text later

EDIT1: so i can confirm 2x16G SODIMMs are working with T620 plus. :D
On the flip side, it seems the seller of the DIMMs sold me without testing so when i woke up this morning, MemTest86 8.1 UEFI version gave errors. Now i'm running the memtest with only one of the DIMMs since one DIMMs had a marking of I or L on 2 of the chips, which i find very strange (was it kind of marked for error/broken?). So far after 1#4 round of the other DIMM, it's stilling running wihtout any error.

It's now been over 2 months with delays etc, so i doubt i can claim any refund?

Last edited: