[SOLVED!!! Wrong SBR file] SAS3Flsh.exe shows "ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL" when trying to flash LSI 3008 card with IT-Mode firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
[this post is a continuation of my adventures from yesterday]

This is the exact card I have, Fujitsu D3307-A12 CP400i

Im using FreeDOS installed from Rufus on a usb stick. Ive tried this in two computers with legacy boot enabled (motherboards are both from around 2010 era)

The card has already been successfully flashed with the Fujitsu CP400i SBR, then yesterday I successfully wiped the firmware by running the following command

"megarec.exe -cleanflash 0"

and then I tried to run

"SAS3FLSH.EXE -c 0 -o -f SAS308IT.bin -b MPTSAS3.ROM -b MPT3x64.ROM

I hit enter and immediatly I get "ERROR: Failed to initlalize PAL. Exiting program."

image0.jpeg

I go back to try cleaning the flash again and erasing it by running "megarec.exe -cleanflash 0"

But I get this weird message.
image1.jpeg

It says something about flash not being programmable. What gives? Can anyone help me figure out whats going on and what I need to do to flash my firmware?
Do I have the wrong SAS3flsh?

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
I also just tried the EFI flash utility.

Said there was no controllers found. Where did I go wrong?

image0.jpeg

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
For the DOS stick make sure to have himem.sys included and loading. Had same error and himem.sys solved that.
Thank you,

I thought you were onto something because my Rufus FreeDos doesnt look normal. even though it boots dos, it doesnt have a fdconfig.sys or any binary files.

So i went to free-dos's website, downloaded freedos livecd iso, flashed it to my USB via rufus, in the config now i see "DEVICE=\FREEDOS\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE"

so thats all good. Now I went to run my software, and same issue.

IMG_8174.JPG

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Well, that's weird. Check your BIOS if there is an option like "above 4G encoding" in the PCIe section, if set try to un-set.
And, if you use the DOS tool of sas3flsh un-check/disable all UEFI option-roms in your system.
Or, try to use an other/older system for flashing.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
I was using a Z97 Classified in that picture, its a old motherboard running legacy bios.

I also just tried on an X9 motherboard, same problem on DOS, and this problem on EFI shell

I think I bricked my card. I have ordered a EEPROM programmer for the chip on the card and it will arrive this sunday, then I can get a deeper look. Ill keep this thread updated.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
Hello,

So I got my programmer and I do believe my card was bricked.

After alot of hassle I figured out the flash chip where the SBR is stored is the AT24C64D.

I used a T56 universal programmer to program it.

I was successfully able to read a known good flash chip and get its firmware, then I put this firmware back onto the card and it was detected again.

So heres where the issue comes back.

I am following this tutorial,

I got all my files from a helpful member on this forum and am running the correct Megarec3, and sas3flsh
I have no reason to believe my SBR is bad. So basically, heres what happens.

These are the steps I follow from the video tutorial and where I will put a red X is where my problems start.

boot Freedos 13, move to my folder with all my tools

✔>
megacli.exe -adpallinfo -a0 > card1.txt
This give me the cards serial number and sas address aswell as alot of other information

✔> megarec3.exe -writesbr 0 CP400i.SBR
Completes successfully, even better it completes without an error like show in the video tutorial.

✔> megarec3.exe -cleanflash 0
this cleans the cards flash which gets it ready for the new firmware. it takes a while but eventually completes.
next the video instructs me to reboot the dos machine, and flash the firmware.

reboot, then I run the following command and have an issue

❌> sas3flsh.exe -c 0 -o -f SAS9300I.BIN

I get an error, failed to initialize PAL. What gives??

image0.jpeg

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
I DID IT!!!

So it wasnt my motherboard. It was the SBR file.

image5.jpeg

After manually programming the EEPROM chip after I bricked it with the wrong SBR, It finally flashed successfully.

image7.jpeg

If anyone in the distant future sees this thread and has the same struggles, here you go. save yourself the time

password on the zip file is: password

Attachments

2b2bff

Feb 23, 2022
Hi,

I want to go the other way around - do you have the original SBR file for the CP400i?

Cheers

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
Hi,

I want to go the other way around - do you have the original SBR file for the CP400i?

Cheers
I did not save the original SBR. Sorry.

If you are in need of it, this is the card I got from ebay, for 100$

2b2bff

Feb 23, 2022
No thank you. I have such a card but crossflashed it to the IT firmware months ago. My backup is gone by now.

But luckily I don't need the SBR anymore, as I decided otherwise.

zorpat84

Sep 29, 2023
If there is someone out there with a bricked sas-controller, please contact me!
we are flashing the flash-eeprom with valid data, and can help you to load LSI firmware on your Fujitsu controller.

it was a loooooong way searching the needed files.. but now I am able to flash them! :)

MrMeeb

Aug 12, 2019
If there is someone out there with a bricked sas-controller, please contact me!
we are flashing the flash-eeprom with valid data, and can help you to load LSI firmware on your Fujitsu controller.

it was a loooooong way searching the needed files.. but now I am able to flash them! :)
Hi @zorpat84, I have a currently unaltered D3307-A12 that I'm trying to flash to IT mode. Are you saying you have the necessary files for doing that? I see that there is an SBR file in this thread, but the process used isn't clear and the size of the SBR file here doesn't match the size mentioned by the video guide being followed (see my ask for help here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/help-flashing-fujitsu-d3307-a12-to-it-mode.41688/)

zorpat84

Sep 29, 2023
Hi @zorpat84, I have a currently unaltered D3307-A12 that I'm trying to flash to IT mode. Are you saying you have the necessary files for doing that? I see that there is an SBR file in this thread, but the process used isn't clear and the size of the SBR file here doesn't match the size mentioned by the video guide being followed (see my ask for help here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/help-flashing-fujitsu-d3307-a12-to-it-mode.41688/)
Hi @MrMeeb, yes, I have the file to use with "D3307-A13 GS 1", but i guess it will also run on "A12" Version. It filesize is 256Bytes and I have flashed it with a chip programmer, not via "megarec -writesbr". You could test writing the file with megarec, but I think it would be better with a chip programmer.

It's really important you note the SAS-address of your unaltered D3307 (megacli -adpallinfo -a0 > CARD001.txt)!!!

Tell me if you need further help, you can contact me via direct message or email.

bb7

Feb 28, 2024
I was about to test this on an UEFI-only system, but I cannot find the sas3flash command analogous to "megarec3.exe -writesbr" -- there seems to be none, or is there?

In case anyone is still interested, when I get the time to play with the legacy system, I will be able to extract the IR-sbr file (@2b2bff ?).