[Solved] WD 2TB Black Enterprise WD RE4 HDD SMART attributes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
Hi All,

Recently I bought a WD 2TB Black Enterprise RE HDD from an IT warehouse online seller,
the model is: WDC WD2003FYYS-70W0B0 [Serial No: WD-WMAY05176664]

1-2 years ago, I also bought a WD 2TB Black Enterprise RE HDD from an online 2nd hand seller,
the model is WDC WD2003FYYS-02w0B1 [Serial No: WD-WCAY00820526]

Can anyone tell me if both Black HDD is the SAME model?

If yes, the number of SMART attributes got displayed under Attribute Name
when I run CrystalDiskinfo v8.4.0 x64 is different. That is one HDD has got
extra number of attribute IDs than the other one. Why?

Also, the temperature on the HDD whose Serial No: WD-WMAY05176664 is
always 2 to 3 degree hotter than HDD whose Serial No: WD-WCAY00820526
Both are turned on, and spinning but no transfer of files (no disk activitiy)
Any reason why is that ?

Thank you in advance.

WD-2TB-HDDno.1.jpg
WD-2TB-HDDno.2.jpg

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
These are not the same. They have a different firmware and as such they connect differently, see under Standard?

The temperature difference is due to the location of those disks in the chasis and the airflow associated with it. I see nothing weird about it.

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
These are not the same. They have a different firmware and as such they connect differently, see under Standard?
Ok they both have different Standard, means?

Since both HDD got different standard, does it means that one HDD is better than the other?

Last edited:

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
The temperature difference is due to the location of those disks in the chasis and the airflow associated with it. I see nothing weird about i
Both HDD located at same position in the chassis(one is located top and the other one is located at the bottom),
I have 2 fans blowing top & bottom.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
For Hard Drives: the internal temperature rises usually when the bearings inside are wearing out or are manufactured out of spec. I do not see any problems with those disks, these temps are well within their operating limits.

The difference, apparent from your screenshots is in the way those disks talk to your machine. Read up on ATA8-ACS and the way implementations differ. I would say it is due to a different firmware on one of the disks (newer) that it presents itself differently. Not sure why you are exploring those differences, anyway?

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
For Hard Drives: the internal temperature rises usually when the bearings inside are wearing out or are manufactured out of spec. I do not see any problems with those disks, these temps are well within their operating limits.
When I bought WDC WD2003FYYS-70W0B0 [Serial No: WD-WMAY05176664] recently, I ran it
with WD DATA Lifeguard Diagnostic Tool, this hard disk was not installed in the chassis, but left outside the case, with no fan blowing, the temp spiked up to 51 c.

So, there is nothing to worry about? You think?

WD-WMAY05176664-temp-51-degrees.jpg
HDD-best-operating-temp.jpg

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
The difference, apparent from your screenshots is in the way those disks talk to your machine. Read up on ATA8-ACS and the way implementations differ. I would say it is due to a different firmware on one of the disks (newer) that it presents itself differently. Not sure why you are exploring those differences, anyway?
Thank you for your response so far.

Yes, I did a search on the ATA8-ACS in wikipedia, it is just another communication standard.

I am going to buy some more of these drives from my local seller later......
but I am hesitated since I saw the difference in the amount of SMART attributes being displayed.
That really raised the alarm bell.
I thought I bought a fake/intimation Enterprise HDD from the seller!!! ;)
But judging from your response, nothing to be scared off.
I already posted my question to Western Digital Forum directly, but so far after waiting for a week
or so no response from them yet.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I have a 2003FYYS as a storage drive (for my collection of Dell Precision HDD images and much more stuff) and I can confirm it runs really, really hot, especially in a external HDD holder.

Reactions: wepee

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
I have a 2003FYYS as a storage drive (for my collection of Dell Precision HDD images and much more stuff) and I can confirm it runs really, really hot, especially in a external HDD holder.
@Wasmachineman_NL , thanks for sharing.
Your comment will be a sound of relieve to me.

I had concluded there is nothing wrong with the HDD:
WDC WD2003FYYS-70W0B0 [Serial No: WD-WMAY05176664]
which I recently bought.