SOLVED: trying to run 2.5g multi-gig to an older juniper ex4300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
So it seems like some of the 10gbe sfp+ modules will negotiate at 2.5g on the copper end, but present at 10gb to the switch. I've seen some folks say it works fine and others say performance sucks due to the switch trying to send packets at 10gb, but the module only working at 2.5gb and i presume not having flow control or a buffer.

I think my switch can support traffic shaping, but i'm not sure since i've honestly never configured it before, which i read a post that it will help the performance issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking to pick up an fs.com transceiver module. My understanding is juniper gear is pretty picky if the module isn't coded correctly.

The use case is this: i get 1.4gbps from my cable provider, my cable modem plugs into a dedicated vlan port on my switch which then provides HA access to a pair of pfsense vm's i have on 2 separate hosts (this is why i want to plug the CM into the switch since i have 2 hosts). I currently use LACP with an mb8600, but it is unstable with lacp, so i want to upgrade to an mb8611 which has a 2.5g port.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
Me thinks the 4300 was made before multigig was even a thing. Why not just buy a cheap multigig switch? I have not had many issues using off brand xcievers with Juniper.

cap

Sep 20, 2021
California
I have found a couple of solutions to this, which I wrote about in more detail in this post.

One solution is the rare and expensive SFP+ module, [Supermicro] Aquantia AQS-107-B0C2-CX. It needs to be the real one with the Aquantia chipset, not one of the cheap ones marked "compatible" with that part number. There are a few available through one ebay listing at the time of this post, and that ebay seller is where I bought mine. The same modules are evidently available new on the Supermicro online store, for even more money.

Another solution is a 2.5gbe switch with 10gbe uplinks. I bought the Qnap QSW-2104-2S, which has two SFP+ ports and four 2.5gbe ports. It has been a solid performer. It is unmanaged, fanless, and runs cool to the touch. There is a version with 10GBase-T (NBase-T) ports instead of SFP+. I have the SFP+ version. Prices of these have been volatile. I paid $140 for mine.

If you want it small, the Aquantia SFP+ module gets the job done. If you don't mind the space of a small desktop-style switch, then I'd recommend the Qnap switch for about the same money, and you get the bonus of a few more ports.

My use case is much the same as yours, OP: 1.4gbps observed download speed from my ISP. I use Comcast Xfinity with a Comcast-supplied XB7 router, running in full router mode for now. I have the RJ45 end of the Aquantia SFP+ module connected directly to the 2.5gbe port of my XB7 router. I use the Qnap switch for other things. I don't really need both solutions, but curiosity destroyed my wallet.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
One solution is the rare and expensive SFP+ module, [Supermicro] Aquantia AQS-107-B0C2-CX. It needs to be the real one with the Aquantia chipset,
Thanks, i found a surplus one of these on ebay submitted an offer for $100 and it was accepted. the picture shows it's a branded Aquantia AQS-107. I'm concerned the juniper won't recognize it, as junipers are fussy.

If that doesn't work looks like i'll be looking for a cheap switch. unmanaged is annoying as i'm powering an entire switch to only be able to plug one device into it. But i also am not currently in a position pay for a managed switch

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
throwing an update incase anyone comes across this in the future. I had found a post elsewhere that a juniper switch would not recognize a AQS-107-B0C2-CX. I plugged mine in and plugged a 1Ge device into it and it worked fine a few errors in the system logs due to it not being a juniper coded transceiver but it works... I just ordered the 2.5Ge cable modem which should arrive tomorrow. I'm hopeful that it'll work fine.

Reactions: RobstarUSA

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Not only does it work, but the switch recognizes the link speed which puzzles me.

Code:
root@SW01-EX4300> show interfaces xe-0/2/0 extensive |match speed
  Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: Auto, Duplex: Full-Duplex, BPDU Error: None, Loop Detect PDU Error: None, Ethernet-Switching Error: None, MAC-REWRITE Error: None, Loopback: Disabled,
        Flow control: None, Remote fault: Link OK, Local link Speed: 2.5 Gbps, Link mode: Full-duplex
Local link Speed: 2.5 Gbps,

my expectation was that the switch would see it as a 10G link and that the module would do some internal black magic when connecting to a multigig 2.5 device. Makes me wonder if one of the cheaper FiberStore modules would have worked.

and doing a few speed tests i'm seeing peaks of 1.4gbps, so it's working as hoped.

Last edited:

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
@FingerBlaster

The link won't come up in an EX2300 even with the Juniper branded version of this transceiver. Since neither the EX2300 nor the EX4300 are in the supported list for this transceiver, I was hopeful your experience would carry over to mine.

Another possibility is I have a USB 2.5G adapter at the far end and there is a negotiation incompatibility. Did you perhaps set the link speed manually? Or you have the multigig variant of the EX4300

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
@unmesh

my switch is not the Multi gig variant, and i didn't manually set link speed!

Unfortunately the transceiver died on me and I'm hunting for a replacement.

You ever get it to work? if not any chance you'd be willing to sell your transceiver?

Last edited:

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I never got it to work with the EX2300 and haven't got around to buying a newer switch.

Wouldn't you be better off with the cheaper AQS-109 that tops out at 2.5Gbps rather than an AQS-107 though?

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
No idea what the going rate for the 108 and 109 are, but I've only ever occasionally see the 107 on fleabay, and often times for crazy prices. There's one on fleabay for $500 right now. But at least the 107 you can also use at 10gbps so it's more versatile to me.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Since my switch detected the aqs 107 as a copper device and presented it as 2.5gbps i wonder if my switch can unofficially support multigig on the sfp ports.

unfortunately the aqs-107 is totally dead now, switch doesn't even recognize it.

I have an fs.com sfp, unfortunately it presents as media type fiber and not media type copper and it will only link at 10g to the switch. i've tried to force it lower and it won't work.

Last edited:

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
just for the hell of it i ordered a mikrotik sfp (hopefully the ex4300 won't be too picky) with an 88x3310 chipset, since it's advertised as being able to support nbase-t multigig, my hope is that the switch will recognize that it's 2.5gbps just like it did with the aquantia transceiver.

Oct 10, 2019
just for the hell of it i ordered a mikrotik sfp (hopefully the ex4300 won't be too picky) with an 88x3310 chipset, since it's advertised as being able to support nbase-t multigig, my hope is that the switch will recognize that it's 2.5gbps just like it did with the aquantia transceiver.

Did it work? The Supermicro one couldn't be the only one that can work, or can it?

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Did it work? The Supermicro one couldn't be the only one that can work, or can it?
There are a few switches that only seem to be fully compatible with the older AQS107, but many are also compatible with the newer AQR113C that is available for a much more reasonable price from manufacturers like 10Gtek in the form of the 10Gtek ASF-10G2-T (note the "2" in the product name).

You can find more information in other threads, such as this one (there are more than one):