[SOLVED]: Troubles Automounting samba Share

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

derian00

Oct 10, 2018
Trying to automount a Samba share on system startup, I added
Code:
//10.8.40.121/Plex /mnt/Marabel cifs credentials=/etc/samba/credentials/.plexCredentials
to
Code:
/etc/fstab
, obviously I have a credentials file in
Code:
/etc/samba/credentials/.plexCredentials
, but upon system boot, and error promptly occurs telling me to check
Code:
systemctl status mnt-Marabel.mount
, which returns

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 10.06.17 PM.png
By suggestion from another forum, I tried adding some extra lines to the end incase fstab was attempting to exectute the line before networking was brought online
Code:
//10.8.40.121/Plex /mnt/Marabel cifs credentials=/etc/samba/credentials/.plexCredentials,noauto,x-systemd.automount,_netdev
, nothing appears to have changed.

Also of note, running
Code:
sudo ls /etc/Marabel
returns "no such device", yet running
Code:
sudo file /mnt/Marabel
returns
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 dec 2 22:15 Marabel
At this point im not entirely sure how to proceed, open to suggestions on how I can further troubleshoot this.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Is marabel a windows machine?

I used this back in the day for a windows 10 box mount:
Code:
//HTPC-PC/NVR_Cameras /mnt/NVR_Cameras cifs username=nvruser,password=P@ssw0rd,uid=122,gid=130  0  0

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Also of note, running
Code:
sudo ls /etc/Marabel
returns "no such device", yet running
Code:
sudo file /mnt/Marabel
returns
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 dec 2 22:15 Marabel
At this point im not entirely sure how to proceed, open to suggestions on how I can further troubleshoot this.
I don't know if that's a typo here, or if that's actually what you typed... BUT, /etc/Marabel != /mnt/Marabel

Also, so after it fails to mount upon boot up, what happens if you login and run:

mount /mnt/Marabel

(with sudo or as root), does it mount? If it mounts fine running it manually, then you know the content in /etc/fstab is good. If not, then you need to fix something in /etc/fstab. If the contents are good in /etc/fstab, then it might be timing issue during boot up, for example if the network is not available yet or can't be reached at that time.

Reactions: fossxplorer

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
This is my Plex mount command.

//192.168.100.83/movies /media/plexdata cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/home/username/.smbcredentials, iocharset=utf8,uid=username,gid=username,noperm 0 0

Asking the obvious but...you have a user account on the remote machine that you are mounting from that matches the credentials you're providing in your .plexCredentials file?

derian00

Oct 10, 2018
Problem has been resolved, added vers=3.0 to the fstab command and its all happy now