[SOLVED]: Troubles Automounting samba Share

Discussion in 'Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization' started by derian00, Dec 2, 2019.

1. derian00

derian00 New Member

Trying to automount a Samba share on system startup, I added
    Code:
    //10.8.40.121/Plex /mnt/Marabel cifs credentials=/etc/samba/credentials/.plexCredentials
    to
    Code:
    /etc/fstab
    , obviously I have a credentials file in
    Code:
    /etc/samba/credentials/.plexCredentials
    , but upon system boot, and error promptly occurs telling me to check
    Code:
    systemctl status mnt-Marabel.mount
    , which returns

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 10.06.17 PM.png
    By suggestion from another forum, I tried adding some extra lines to the end incase fstab was attempting to exectute the line before networking was brought online
    Code:
    //10.8.40.121/Plex /mnt/Marabel cifs credentials=/etc/samba/credentials/.plexCredentials,noauto,x-systemd.automount,_netdev
    , nothing appears to have changed.

Also of note, running
    Code:
    sudo ls /etc/Marabel
    returns "no such device", yet running
    Code:
    sudo file /mnt/Marabel
    returns
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 dec 2 22:15 Marabel
    At this point im not entirely sure how to proceed, open to suggestions on how I can further troubleshoot this.

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Is marabel a windows machine?

I used this back in the day for a windows 10 box mount:
    Code:
    //HTPC-PC/NVR_Cameras /mnt/NVR_Cameras cifs username=nvruser,password=P@ssw0rd,uid=122,gid=130  0  0

3. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

I don't know if that's a typo here, or if that's actually what you typed... BUT, /etc/Marabel != /mnt/Marabel

Also, so after it fails to mount upon boot up, what happens if you login and run:

mount /mnt/Marabel

(with sudo or as root), does it mount? If it mounts fine running it manually, then you know the content in /etc/fstab is good. If not, then you need to fix something in /etc/fstab. If the contents are good in /etc/fstab, then it might be timing issue during boot up, for example if the network is not available yet or can't be reached at that time.

fossxplorer likes this.
  4. NashBrydges

NashBrydges Member

This is my Plex mount command.

//192.168.100.83/movies /media/plexdata cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/home/username/.smbcredentials, iocharset=utf8,uid=username,gid=username,noperm 0 0

Asking the obvious but...you have a user account on the remote machine that you are mounting from that matches the credentials you're providing in your .plexCredentials file?

5. derian00

derian00 New Member

Problem has been resolved, added vers=3.0 to the fstab command and its all happy now