{Solved] Supermicro X8DTE-F IPMI sensor issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Hi all,

Got my SM X8DTE-F board up and running, everything was fine and of course, I decide that it would be good to update the IPMI firmware before we get too far down the road with production build and I realize there's some bug that needs updating.
Everything was actually working fine up to this point, but this board still had the original IPMI firmware v1.3 when latest is 2.2. I perform the update over the website console and everything seems fine, reboot system and after ESXi loaded was when I noticed the issue. For some reason the voltage sensors are all over the place, +12V is at 8.42v, +5v is at 6.24v, CPU1 vDIMM is at 1.1V when normal is 1.5V etc, really freaked me out so I shutdown again.
I checked all connections and didn't find any issues, powered system back on and go into BIOS, checking system health and it shows everything is perfect and in range. I proceed to boot into ESXi again and sensors are all over the place again.

Any ideas? Did I somehow screw up the IPMI update or is this just bad software from Supermicro?

[edit] - firmware download link on post #19 {Solved] Supermicro X8DTE-F IPMI sensor issues
[edit2] - new firmware link http://www.filedropper.com/x8dt6303

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Update, Supermicro provided an updated "Test" IPMI package, v3.02 published 12/2014
Installed and all readings back to normal :) Here's where to grab it

ftp://dataharbor.supermicro.com/X8DT6302.zip
Username dpguest$ts
Password supermicro!@#

This also works for the X8DT6-F board which is the same board but with SAS2008 controller built in.

Good luck!

Reactions: Chuckleb

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Update, Supermicro provided an updated "Test" IPMI package, v3.02 published 12/2014
Installed and all readings back to normal :) Here's where to grab it

ftp://dataharbor.supermicro.com/X8DT6302.zip
Username dpguest$ts
Password supermicro!@#

This also works for the X8DT6-F board which is the same board but with SAS2008 controller built in.

Good luck!
Chinesestunna do you still have the zip file saved? I could really use it.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Axemann do you have hwmonitor or any similar programs installed on the server using that board and have they been run at least once no matter how briefly?

axemann

Jul 7, 2013
I'm not 100% sure. I'm using the board in a FreeNAS-based server, but I'm not sure what it uses for hardware monitoring. I'll do some digging and see what I can find out.

Do you think this series of boards has issues with certain hardware-monitoring software?

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
When I contacted Supermicro about the issue support told me to remove hwmonitor as the way it probes sensor information can cause collisions with the bmc. After removing it the bmc and sensors have been working consistently normally for the past 3 days now but I am continuing to monitor it. Ymmv.

axemann

Jul 7, 2013
Gotcha.

From my (very short) preliminary research, there's no temperature or fan monitoring done in FreeNAS, so I'm not sure that's the issue in my particular case.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Apologies folks, I know the original FTP doesn't work anymore and several members has reached out to me for the firmware file. I've unfortunately not kept a copy and am unable to provide. Please reach out to Supermicro Support directly, they're pretty good about helping out in these situations

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It is available on the current ftp - X8DT6303 as well. Unfortunately its too large to upload here. You should be able to get access via SM support with your board's serial number.
Sorry, not really keen on posting the credentials here;)

teflox

Aug 30, 2017
Link to the file on zippyshare: Private file

Update: Still got the same issues with IPMI Firmware 3.03, Bios Version R 2.0c on X8DTE-F running FreeNAS 11.0-U2.

ipmisensorreadings.PNG

Last edited: