(Solved) Supermicro 2011-3 Mainboard with out of the box xeon e5 v4 compatibility?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Stupid me... as always I snatch something on eBay and make up my mind afterwards.
So I got a E5 2667 v4 QHVD real cheap and now I am thinking of building a sp or dp system (don't care what it will be) around it.

As I check the SM Homepage I always have to read: V4 supported with bios 2.0 and later...
So my question is: Are there any boards that will already ship with bios 2.0 or later?
I wouldn't like to buy a v3 and return it to the seller just to do the bios upgrade...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
So my question is: Are there any boards that will already ship with bios 2.0 or later?
I bought a x10srl recently from a supermicro authorized shop, it had the v3.0a bios (spectre/meltdown microcode updates!) already flashed.
So, yes, if you buy a new board from an official source you will get the latest bios out of the box.
I wouldn't like to buy a v3 and return it to the seller just to do the bios upgrade...
Depending on which board you get you could use a "cheap" i7 or xeon for the bios update.
An alternative when your board supports ipmi is the oob license for like 30$. With this license you can update the bios through ipmi without a cpu installed.

Reactions: aij and Kristian

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Actually it depends on seller stock but with v4 out for so long most stock of pre v4 boards should be gone.
Alternatively you can get a trial for the OOB management if you only need it once

Reactions: Kristian

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Another option is to buy a CPU and then re-advertise it for sale yourself when you've finished with it rather than inconvenience the seller costing him time, money and most likely affecting their ebay stats. Typically you can find a poor listings and readvertise with higher quality images and better descriptions making a few bucks in the process.

Reactions: K D

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
-.- I already marked the topic as solved and stated in my initial posting that I wouldn't like to do that.
Thank you for your input anyways, but I will go the OOB route.