(Solved) Supermicro 2011-3 Mainboard with out of the box xeon e5 v4 compatibility?

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Kristian, May 13, 2018.

1. Kristian

Kristian Active Member

Stupid me... as always I snatch something on eBay and make up my mind afterwards.
    So I got a E5 2667 v4 QHVD real cheap and now I am thinking of building a sp or dp system (don't care what it will be) around it.

As I check the SM Homepage I always have to read: V4 supported with bios 2.0 and later...
    So my question is: Are there any boards that will already ship with bios 2.0 or later?
    I wouldn't like to buy a v3 and return it to the seller just to do the bios upgrade...

2. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

I bought a x10srl recently from a supermicro authorized shop, it had the v3.0a bios (spectre/meltdown microcode updates!) already flashed.
    So, yes, if you buy a new board from an official source you will get the latest bios out of the box.
    Depending on which board you get you could use a "cheap" i7 or xeon for the bios update.
    An alternative when your board supports ipmi is the oob license for like 30$. With this license you can update the bios through ipmi without a cpu installed.

aij and Kristian like this.
  3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Actually it depends on seller stock but with v4 out for so long most stock of pre v4 boards should be gone.
    Alternatively you can get a trial for the OOB management if you only need it once

Kristian likes this.
  4. Kristian

Kristian Active Member

@Rand__
    @i386
    Thank you so much guys.
    So I will hope for a board with a recent BIOS and if I am unlucky use the OOB route.

5. sth

sth Active Member

Another option is to buy a CPU and then re-advertise it for sale yourself when you've finished with it rather than inconvenience the seller costing him time, money and most likely affecting their ebay stats. Typically you can find a poor listings and readvertise with higher quality images and better descriptions making a few bucks in the process.

K D likes this.
  6. Kristian

Kristian Active Member

-.- I already marked the topic as solved and stated in my initial posting that I wouldn't like to do that.
    Thank you for your input anyways, but I will go the OOB route.