[SOLVED] Samsung NVME Issues in Windows 10 Pro (Model Number MZVPV256HDGL-000H1)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

baldrick

Sep 26, 2020
I got a couple of Samsung 256 GB NVMEs (Model Number MZVPV256HDGL-000H1) for a ridiculously cheap price, $8 each.

I have tried these on an AMD4 B450 (TUF-Plus Gaming) board with an Ryzen 5 1600 (AF) but no dice. The drive shows up in BIOS however Windows 10 Pro Device Manager lists it as an unknown device and native Windows NVME drivers are unable to recognize it.

This Anandtech article from 2015 lists it as an NVME version as opposed to the AHCI version (I don't understand this distinction).

Any comments/advice will be appreciated.

P.S. I am going to try the other in an ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0, LGA 1155 motherboard running a Xeon E3-1260L using a PCIe NVME card.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Do you have the ability to verify them in another OS, like Ubuntu and check that they show up as the right PCIe device?

baldrick

Sep 26, 2020
Do you have the ability to verify them in another OS, like Ubuntu and check that they show up as the right PCIe device?
Thanks. I am going to use Ubuntu Live to check today. BTW the drive shows up as a SCSI drive when I was flashing Ubuntu ISO in Balena Etcher.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Thanks. I am going to use Ubuntu Live to check today. BTW the drive shows up as a SCSI drive when I was flashing Ubuntu ISO in Balena Etcher.
That *sounds* suspect, but I don't have that drive model on hand to confirm. Such a cheap price would make me suspect something fishy going on. Hopefully you're still within the dispute window if it turns out to be a too good to be true situation. Once you confirm the device ID, see how it behaves in linux and if it works OK there then we know your issue is a Windows/driver issue of some kind.