[SOLVED] RTX2070 not detected on Supermicro X9SRL-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
And this exactly should not happen, at least not in my experience with different mainboards (not just supermicro): I would have expected the post/boot process to fail becuase it can't determine if there is another gpu and what gpu to use...
But if the PCIE device itself receives a startup signal from motherboard, it checks for external power(probably using the 7th and 8th pins), finds none and refuses to do anything else, to the motherboard it may look like an empty slot, no? Just speculating, I have no idea what im talking about. In 40XX series i think it may refuse to POST if you don't connect at least 3 cables to 12VHPWR, but as for 20XX idk and idk how motherboard startup process really looks like in modern age.

kapone

May 23, 2015
And this exactly should not happen, at least not in my experience with different mainboards (not just supermicro): I would have expected the post/boot process to fail becuase it can't determine if there is another gpu and what gpu to use...
A majority of boards (including consumer boards like Asrock, ASUS, Gigabyte etc) I've used over the years, boot just fine without a GPU.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
2070 may only support a UEFI OPROM,
I got oem blower 2080, and even A4000 working on legacy bios C602 chipset.
(Dell 0NK70N , Version A03 mobo)
(it works on both efi and legacy, no vid in efi mode on both cards until after drivers are loaded, but they show in lspci)

Note: in past I had x9dri-ln4f+ rev1 board with v1's, and had ran radeon vii on it without an issue.
(but that board didn't support v2's, and no bios upgrade was available for it)

Last edited:

svani

Nov 9, 2021
In the X9SRL-F, really the focus areas need to be:

- pci-e bifurcation
- pci-e OPROM settings, including PCI ROM Priority
- UEFI/CSM settings - very important.
I have not found any CMS option in BIOS. There is only option to choose from legacy or UEFI only under PCIe/PCI/PnP Confuration - Launch Storage OpROM policy. Pci-e bifurcation settings don't have affect.

My thoughts would be:
- Keep the 2070 in the first x16 slot (power cables connected, monitor connected over HDMI)
- No other cards
- Configure the X9SRL-F BIOS settings for UEFI boot ONLY. This will involve the settings I mentioned above)
- Install Windows in UEFI mode (your boot media MUST support UEFI booting)
- Test?
UEFI only is selected and boot priority is set to UEFI. Windows is installed in UEFI mode. Confirmed from sytem information. Proxmox installation was previously tested with both legacy and UEFI installation.

I will test the mobo with my RTX3090 at weekend. Would have done that earlier but it isn't a quick task since the card doesn't fit in the case. If it is working there must be something weird going on with 2070.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyklonDX

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
@svani Just a thought, if you'd have a "mining riser", just maybe, it may work in either of slots? Just maybe.
Also, again, confirm card does not appear as PCIE device in lspci of any live linux in any configuration. It may not produce any video but may still be available and semi-work(because it requires Xorg session to use "nvidia-settings" to enable fans spin at an acceptable rate, if default one is unsatisfactory) as computing device.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
a good question speaking with raisers; Are you using raiser? Some raisers weren't made for GPU's.

svani

Nov 9, 2021
No riser in use. The only riser I have sits in my proxmox/pfsense sff builbuild and is x16 version.

Live linux was tested with Ubunt and later with fedora.

I saw earlier a post on supermicro FAQ about x9 or x10 board with raiser. Answer was that they are not supported. Maybe meaning that they are not valitated.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
can you try a raiser?
RSC-R1UG-UR-X9
RSC-R2UG-E16R-X9

Just curious. *I know it doesn't make sense since those are passive ones - but i believe i saw something as such somwhere in past on dell servers.

svani

Nov 9, 2021
I was simply trying to think of any more options that could be tried.
I appreciate all the help and thinking done here. Thanks for everyone.

But now I'm speechless.

working.jpg
Left screen is running RTX 2070 in my main rig. Right one RTX3090 on supermicro board. Both plug-and-play.
Windows got loaded and I'm getting output.

So there is something really weird going on with this paticular GPU. I will share more information about it later.
Maybe next step VGA BIOS update?

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I wouldn't recommend vga bios upgrade unless its packaged by nv or msi themselves.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany

But now I'm speechless.

View attachment 27800
Left screen is running RTX 2070 in my main rig. Right one RTX3090 on supermicro board. Both plug-and-play.

So there is something really wierd going on with this paticular GPU. I will share more information about it later.
Just as a sanity check: what happens if you put the 2070 back in?

kapone

May 23, 2015

But now I'm speechless.

View attachment 27800

So there is something really wierd going on with this paticular GPU. I will share more information about it later.
That. Is. Weird.

No other way to say it. No clue at this point.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
also out of curiosity, did you get this card from ebay?
if yes ->
(whats the exact bios on that card?) could you dump it to a file?
I wonder, maybe someone played with wattage limits - flashed the card with their own modified bios.

Reactions: svani

svani

Nov 9, 2021
It's second hand card. I don't know the exact history but no mining/BIOS flash mentioned in sales ad. It was listed on Finnish IT forum. I will get cards detailed information tomorrow. In earlier test it permormed as expected in Unigine Heaven.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
(should be able to compare bios rom files with original ones -> to see if it was modified.)

svani

Nov 9, 2021
So, current GPU BIOS version is 90.06.18.40.27. Bios dump from GPU-Z attached.
Comparison with all the MSI Armor 8 GB bioses found on techpowerup database. Corresponding bios verison doesn't match.
GPU-Z.gifgpu bios sha256 comp.PNG
I checked also against all the other MSI card bioses found on database. No match.

Of course those are user uploaded bioses that might not be original. I try to find correspondig bios from more reliable source. I'm contacting the seller if he has any information to share.

Attachments

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
compared with 90.06.18.40.27 (should be same as your card)

its definitely been modified
(there are 8 differences)
1678529402637.png

try submitting your bios techpowerup; maybe it would be able to decipher some info (without anyone needing to use hexeditor)

Last edited:

svani

Nov 9, 2021
I'm going deeper in the issue. I have never dealt with these things.

The bytes that differ might be InfoROM releated. I flashed vBIOS multiple times and it never completely matches the rom I was flashing when I dump it afterwards or compare it.

There is InfoROM missmatch. Output from nvflash --compare and inforom export attached.

Attachments