[SOLVED] RTX2070 not detected on Supermicro X9SRL-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svani

Nov 9, 2021
Hello,

I have been trying to get the RTX2070 to work on my server. No luck so far. Graphics card doesn't show on lspci.
I have a clean install of Proxmox on spare ssd for testing purposes. UEFI boot is enabled. Tested also with Ubuntu live.

Specs:
-Supermicro X9SRL-F (currently latest BIOS verison 3.3)
-Xeon E5-2667v2
-128GB RDIMM
-MSI Armor RTX2070 (with usb-c output).
-Seasonic focus 850W
-No other PCI-e add-on cards currently installed

What I have tried:
-Graphics card is stable on the other motherboard (with full x16 slot)
-Tested with and without HDMI monitor and HDMI dummy plug plugged in
-Tested with other PSU
-Both x16 (x8) slots are working with LSI3008 SAS card and tested also with older HD5000 series radeon.
-Upgraded BIOS from 3.2 to 3.3. This gave an option to play with pci-e bifurcation, I didn't notice other differences. Stock and other configurations tested.
-Cleared CMOS (Removed CMOS battery)
-Disabled integrated Matrox GPU by jumper and changed VGA priority to offboard on BIOS
-Above 4G decoding on/off
-MMCFG BASE default 0x8 and 0x3,0x4
-PCI-e GEN1 speed

Has anyone used RTX20xx series or newer graphics cards with this mobo? I have seen at least GTX10xx cards used on some forum posts. Is there still something to try or is the graphics card simply too new to work with this mobo?

Update/Solution
  • Update motherboard BIOS to version 3.3
  • Under Advanced - Chipset - NorthBridge - Integrated IO Configuration
    • Set IIO 1 IOU2 - PCIe Port to x8x4x4 (default x8x8) -> slot6 (upper physical x16 slot) is bifurcated to two x4 ports
    • The card is running at x4 speed. Not optimal for all usecases but at least it's working
    • I don't know if this applies for all the RTX 2070 cards or only for this particular MSI Armor RTX 2070 8G card.
  • RTX 3090 confirmed to work with (UEFI enabled) stock settings at least with BIOS version 3.3. No need to mess with bifurcation settings

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Which slot is it on, do you get any video out during post?
Look manual where the default video pcie should be.

Is the card LED's/lights show up when you boot? Did you confirm in other build/desktop that the gpu works?

svani

Nov 9, 2021
I have tried both x16 slots (electrically x8). There is no reference for default video pcie in manual. Those slots are working with pci-e x8 devices and older x16 GPU.
RTX2070 lights power on and stay on. I have not seen any output from HDMI (it doesn´t matter if integrated vga is disabled or not).
GPU worked fine on clean install of Windows 10 on the other motherboard (X79 board). Tested with Proxmox with the same motherboard and I was able to get passthrough working with VM.
I have checked power cables countles times and tested with the PSU which was working with the X79 board.

I was wondering if pci-e slots can output full 75 W power for the GPU. I can´t find any documentation about that.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have not seen any output from HDMI (it doesn´t matter if integrated vga is disabled or not).
have you display on it later in windows ? ( integrated vga connected to Monitor for BIOS screen.)

svani

Nov 9, 2021
Windows didn't recognize the card on X9SRL-F board either. No output. Though this was tested with 3.2 BIOS

Problem migth also be that bios doesn't initialize the card at all.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Try the GPU on desktop system - to exclude the gpu isn't bad right now - it could've worked in past - now it may not.

other things:
~ have only single hdmi monitor connected over hdmi
~ jumper 'PCI Slot SMB' - Enable / Disable - see if it makes any difference
~ PCI ROM set to Legacy
~ Disable ASPM
~ Set pcie gen to auto/or gen3
~ use slot4 for the gpu

also note

Last edited:

svani

Nov 9, 2021
GPU was working on the other system after it failed to work on supermicro mobo.

~ PCI ROM set to Legacy
~ Disable ASPM
~ Set pcie gen to auto/or gen3
~ use slot4 for the gpu
These I have tried.

~ jumper 'PCI Slot SMB' - Enable / Disable - see if it makes any difference
By default JI2C1/JI2C2 jumpers are shorted. I already opened those. I´ll give it a try with slot4 and shorted/open and open/shorted variations.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
can you see if the gpu is visible (with igpu - running from igpu) under windows?

svani

Nov 9, 2021
I did fresh install of windows with chipset drivers. No output, no graphics card detected.
iKVM screenshot:
win10 device manager.PNG

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
i have no ideas at this time - most likely i would have to get mobo myself to play with it to figure out anything.
I personally don't see an issue with 'too old' as I did run oem 2080 on same chipset C602. I'm still thinking its something to do with your configuration if GPU works.

Reactions: svani

svani

Nov 9, 2021
I think I have tested all the possible BIOS settings that could have affect to problem. I will go through different bios settings systematically in case I missed something. Unfortunately I don't have any other same gen gpu to play with but maybe I will give it a try with 3000 series card from my main rig.

Thanks for your help!

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
SM support became really profit oriented, and unwilling to help - but you can still ask them.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
It shouldn't be the PCIE power issue, these cards (any any nvidia) don't gobble 75 or above watts during the board start. And i also believe it should be drawing most of that current from the lower-resistence path of 12v ATX cables. I don't have a tools to test where exactly most of it is coming from but do run two 450w cards directly plugged into different motherboard with no issues.

Did you try ALL the pcie ports(x8 ones too?)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
in my experience when the gpu doesn't have enough power the whole system crashes during the post process and restarts over and over again or gets "stuck"

Windows didn't recognize the card on X9SRL-F board either. No output. Though this was tested with 3.2 BIOS

Problem migth also be that bios doesn't initialize the card at all.
Can you try to run the gpu without the power cable(s) connected to it and if changes anything?

svani

Nov 9, 2021
Did you try ALL the pcie ports(x8 ones too?)
All the pci-e x8 slots are closed end type. I'm not willing to modify those.

Can you try to run the gpu without the power cable(s) connected to it and if changes anything?
Without power cables cards lights don't turn on and no initial fan spin either. Nothing else happens. Windows loaded normally and got video from iKVM. So problem shoudn't be power related.

Tested again with Radeon HD5000 series card (in slot6, upper x16 slot). With vga priority set to offboard I get HDMI output from radeon card at early boot and I can access BIOS. Windows loaded normally as well. So pci-e slot is working and at least some kind of discrete graphics card is able to be initialized.

My RTX2070 has usb-c port. Could that cause any problems? It was detected on Proxmox install when I tested gpu with the other motherboard earlier.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Confirm card doesn't appear in lspci under any BIOS config? Not necessary producing video output but it may still be present as device (and you could actually do computing on the GPU if you'd somehow figure out how to spin fans fast)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Nothing else happens. Windows loaded normally
And this exactly should not happen, at least not in my experience with different mainboards (not just supermicro): I would have expected the post/boot process to fail becuase it can't determine if there is another gpu and what gpu to use...

kapone

May 23, 2015
Interesting problem and I'm sure it's frustrating. I'll say this though, the X9SRL-F (like other SM boards) is rock solid, so it's gotta be "some combination of settings that is not working.

I'm zeroing in on the fact that things work on your "x79" board, which I presume is a workstation style board, instead of the X9SRL-F, which is a server board.

In the X9SRL-F, really the focus areas need to be:

- pci-e bifurcation
- pci-e OPROM settings, including PCI ROM Priority
- UEFI/CSM settings - very important.

The 3008 and other cards seem to be working because they support legacy OPROM, whereas the 2070 may only support a UEFI OPROM, which the board may not be loading.

My thoughts would be:
- Keep the 2070 in the first x16 slot (power cables connected, monitor connected over HDMI)
- No other cards
- Configure the X9SRL-F BIOS settings for UEFI boot ONLY. This will involve the settings I mentioned above)
- Install Windows in UEFI mode (your boot media MUST support UEFI booting)
- Test?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention, I've had an RX480/580 in that board for the longest time (my Plex server, among other things) and it works without an issue. It may not help, but it's a data point.