[solved] Optane missing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Last week, I got Napp-IT deployed using the latest OVA on ESXi 6.5. I configured ZFS with six hard drives and an Optane 900. Everything was working perfectly my storage was just fine on my other ESXi hosts.

I had a need to reinstall ESXi (new SSDs and RAID controller), so I shutdown the NappIT VM, moved it to another datastore, reinstalled ESXi, then copied the NappIT VM back. I also re-configured the PCI Passthru devices and rebooted the host.

I got an error about a PCI device when I tried powering on the VM. I removed the four PCI devices, then re-added them. This time it powered on OK.

However, the VM does not see the Optane 900P and that has put the ZFS in an error state. Since this is my first foray into NappIT/Solaris, I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks!

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I think in the past passing through an optane ssd was not possible. I was abit surprised when you said it was working at some point in time.
Most people including my self actually uses optane as a virtual disk within the aio vm and this works great.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I think in the past passing through an optane ssd was not possible. I was abit surprised when you said it was working at some point in time.
Most people including my self actually uses optane as a virtual disk within the aio vm and this works great.
According to the forums, its been working for a while.

However, your post triggered a memory. I did have to go manually modify some pci passthru file. I will check that when I get home.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
According to the forums, its been working for a while.
Nice, I was not aware that a work around is available. I might try it during one of the long weekend we have coming.