[Solved] Need help selecting a rack mount chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
I have a workstation motherboard that's EATX and I want to find a 2u rack mount chassis for it. I'd be using the standard ATX power supply and while I can find a lot of ATX and Mini ATX I'm finding a narrow field of options for my needs. A nice to have would be a PCIe riser card so I can mount a GPU, and of course low cost. I'm been looking on eBay but decided I'd see if anyone had something they would recommend.

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
I bought a iStarUSA-200D that I liked really well except it was only for ATX and not EATX. Do those cases have a ATX power supply or are they along the lines of a Poweredge server?

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The SuperMicro cases use proprietary (though abundant) PSUs, specific to the PDB in the case. Norco, Chenbro, and Rosewill make cases that fit regular ATX PSUs; you might see if they have a 2U deep enough for your board. Note that although SSI-EEB is a standard (even down to the positioning of standoffs), E-ATX is not and can refer to any number of form factors larger than ATX.

Reactions: Tuvar

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I personally I like the ARK IPC-2U2055, also sold as the Plinkusa IPC-2026-BK; however a lot of people understandably wouldn't.

It takes ATX PSUs, but they need to have an 80mm fan like back in the old days; Seasonic does makes a few 90+ bronze and gold PSU with 80mm fans. The PSU's front location means if you want all the fans blowing the same direction your rack has an unusual back-to-front airflow. This was all just fine from me but arguably is not ideal. Plinkusa does make an EATX version with the part number IPC-2029X-BK.

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
I looked at these and my PS has the 120mm, but I'm not opposed to cutting a hole in the chassis and then putting a grill cover over it.

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
I personally I like the ARK IPC-2U2055, also sold as the Plinkusa IPC-2026-BK; however a lot of people understandably wouldn't.

It takes ATX PSUs, but they need to have an 80mm fan like back in the old days; Seasonic does makes a few 90+ bronze and gold PSU with 80mm fans. The PSU's front location means if you want all the fans blowing the same direction your rack has an unusual back-to-front airflow. This was all just fine from me but arguably is not ideal. Plinkusa does make an EATX version with the part number IPC-2029X-BK.
That's an ATX, but I found an EATX and ordered it. Thank's for the advice