EU SOLVED - Looking for short 1U rack server = 10 inches/25 cm deep.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
I am looking for a short 1U rack server that is reasonably low powered, but still with a decent performance, capable of running something like Ubuntu with a few docker machines and at least two Raid1 capable SFF drives. 2'5". IO on front is preferrable.

Seems a bit tricky to find, do they have a special denomination, because I am having problems finding them, searching for "short 1u" on ebay gets a lot of mixed results. With short I mean a depth of about max 25 centimeters. That would be about max 10 inches.

supermicro sc505: Search Result | eBay is a candidate. Seems some Dell PowerEdge R230 CTO come in short versions as well.
Here is a relevant listing I found at a webshop 1U-4U Short Depth Systems rackservers but other than that it seems a bit hard to find cheapish used equipment.

Any hints on how to go about the searches?

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
I needed one a few months ago but couldn't find anything within my budget. I eventually got a DL20, 15-16" depth though.

Quartermaster

Right, now pay attention 007!
Jun 3, 2020
If you know that the Supermicro SC505-203B is short enough for you at 24.9CM (I do not know if you need extra allowance for a power cable at the rear) I would grab one of these and put your own Supermicro board in it. There are also some 3D printable IO shields on Thingiverse and other sites to suit ASRock mainboards in the same chassis.

I don't know where in Europe you are, but for example there's some older units on eBay kleinanzeigen that might suit your needs, or be candidates for an upgrade with a new system board.

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
By sheer coincidence we have a member selling similar SuperMicro comps in an adjacent thread right now, but I will of course look at your suggestions.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Along with the SC505, these 1U Supemicro Chassis also have front I/O:

- SC503 is similar in depth to the SC505 series
- SC513 & SC515 are deeper than SC505, but also have front I/O