[Solved] IPMI of Supermicro A1SAM-2750F unreachable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
I received Supermicro A1SAM-2750F (Avoton SOC) yesterday for a build I am doing.

I spend nearly 3 hours trying to bring up the IPMI Interface. No luck.

The BMC/IPMI Heartbeat LED is blinking green (So the board thinks status is normal)
The link LED of the dedicated IPMI Network Port is constantly lit amber (as I would expect).
The activity LED is blinking amber occasionally (as I would expect without substantial) traffic.

BIOS output:
IPMI Firmware Revision is 1.88
Status of BMC is "working"

But the IPMI interface wont get a IP assigned by the DHCP.

In addition to that it does not seem to be possible to set a static IP.
The BIOS accepts the input and continues, but I wasn't even able to ping the interface.

Can anybody help?
Would this be the expected behaviour if the previous owner had configured the "IP Access control" feature?
Looking forward to your suggestions.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I suggest looking into resetting the IPMI, I believe you can do it from the CLI using some tool (forgot which though).

Reactions: Kristian

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Have you tried using different NICs on the back? On my ASRock boards at least it was a toss-up which interface the BMC started listening on thanks to different defaults for the BIOS or BMC, drove me bonkers; would have hoped SuperMicro would have had saner defaults but you never know...

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
I suggest looking into resetting the IPMI, I believe you can do it from the CLI using some tool (forgot which though).
I think I found the correct tool:

Integrated IPMI Firewall of Supermicro Motherboards - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki
Factory reset via ipmitool or ipmicfg:
<code>ipmitool raw 0x3c 0x40 or
ipmicfg -fd

lets see how that works out tonight

Have you tried using different NICs on the back? On my ASRock boards at least it was a toss-up which interface the BMC started listening on thanks to different defaults for the BIOS or BMC, drove me bonkers; would have hoped SuperMicro would have had saner defaults but you never know...
Good suggestion, but as I understood the manual it is a dedicated IPMI Port.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Good suggestion, but as I understood the manual it is a dedicated IPMI Port.
Some Supermicro boards are in their default configuration, configured to "piggyback" on a secondary NIC if the IPMI port is not connected, this is something that can be configured in the webinterface.

I suppose it is possible, although i reckon it is fairly unlikely, that the IPMI is configured to only use a secondary NIC. All the more reason to reset the IPMI and be done with whatever weird configuration it has.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I've seen it where even though the IPMI was configured to use either the dedicated or the onboard NIC(s) that it took a full power cycle for it to detect the change and thus was listening on the wrong interface. Reckon it's worth a stab at any rate if resetting the IPMI config doesn't work.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would do exactly as outlined above:
1. Ensure the dedicated gigabit NIC is indeed dedicated and dedicated to IPMI
2. Use ipmitool in linux to set the IP address or reset

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Solved!

1.) Downloaded ipmicfg from supermicros site
2.) tried a factory reset via ipmicfg. Reset was done - no change -
3.) tried factory reset via firmware update with option -r no (no preserve, reset to factory default) - no change -
4.) out of a mood tried ipmicfg -vlan off

Problem solved!

Reactions: T_Minus and Patrick