SOLVED: I cannot format/use HGST Ultrastar DC SN200 SAS NVMe 7.68TB HUSMR7676BDP3Y1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

c steff

Apr 18, 2019
If you are looking to connect nvme drives to raid controller you can probably look into something like this from high point or this from LSI.
I do have the megaraid 9440 on order but a lot of sites say there is no hardware raid for nvme drives yet and or is not relevant anymore as windows server storage spaces does the same/better ?! last review that I read about the no raid for nvme was about 4 months ago
so does the 9440 card do hardware raid so I don't bother with windows'/software raid?
someone on this forum said the hardware raid interface for that highpoint raid card is worse than doing software raid with storage spaces

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
@c steff I get more performance from NVME raid on AMD X399 chipset than I do with the same drives in Windows storage spaces.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
unfortunately I don't have the privilege to play around with the posted raid card, so I am not sure whether it is capable of actually running raid on the chipset or through software. The document does not specifically said that it can do nvme raid so maybe the raid chipset is only applicable when you connect sas & sata drives to the controller. Software raid on windows via dynamic disk or storage spaces works, but my experience with them are generally performed less when compared to using hardware raid controller (tested with sas ssd).

c steff

Apr 18, 2019
@azev then I will test the card if hardware raid as I have 2x nvme ssds to do some nice testing (2 hgst and 2 samsung), it may take a while as I found out I need an expensive enabler cable as well (someone offered to donate one with postage paid by me but it will take a while to arrive from another continent :) )

c steff

Apr 18, 2019
My both hgst sn200 work fine at the same time one in each of these adapters in this thread (m.2 nvme adapter and pcie adapter) with this board X11SCV-Q (the pcie adapter does not work with this ssd on other boards)
Installing now win server 2019 to test the storage spaces. Too bad there is no way to have another fast m.2 nvme ssd a small one for win server, I will have to install it on a 2.5" sata ssd (maybe something to convert the fast usb 3.1 gen 2 header on the motherboard for a fast booting device??)
Not sure when I am receiving the raid card to test hardware raid as well if possible at all

Last edited:

c steff

Apr 18, 2019
I received the megaraid 9440-8i, it is Dell oem and I cannot make it work, tried 3 motherboards 300 series with 8th gen cpu, one of them is supermicro and I can't see any sign of the card at bios stage, in bios, F8/F11 boot list or in windows, no webbios with ctrl+h, nothing at all... not sure if this is not locked to Dell workstations only as I found this link
Dell Precision 5820 Tower Owner's Manual

c steff

Apr 18, 2019
just done it again used HDM in windows this time with 2TB same model nvme HGST ssds
after installing the HGST nvme windows drivers the format command is similar to linux one in my original post (I used --uid xxxx at the end not /dev/...) and the format is instant
I also used sg_utils3 for SAS ssds and that takes a lot 30+ mins for 2TB and 1-1.5 hours for 8TB (I did not use HDM for SAS ssds didn't think about it until I finished all SAS ssds to format in 512b sector)

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Hello guys,
I am linux sysadmin&DBadmin.
At work I received SN200 1.6Tb NVME PCI-e SSD disk model:HUSMR7616BHP301 I have to put it in new server for data warehouse with OS:Oracle Linux 7.7 app: Oracle RDBMS 11R2, I have separate SATA SSD on which I installed OL7, format w/xfs no extra parameters no troubles, first week and few days no problems after that Oracle complain:
ORA-48178: error encountered while reading an ADR block file during ADR initializatio
n [/home/oracle/app/diag/rdbms/pobdw/pobdw/metadata/ADR_INTERNAL.mif]
ORA-48101: error encountered when attempting to read a file [block] [/home/oracle/app
/diag/rdbms/pobdw/pobdw/metadata/ADR_INTERNAL.mif] [0]
ORA-27072: File I/O error
Linux-x86_64 Error: 22: Invalid argument
Additional information: 4
Additional information: 1
Additional information: -1
Thu Nov 7 16:26:50 2019
SMART are happy:
nvme smart-log /dev/nvme1n1
Smart Log for NVME device:nvme1n1 namespace-id:ffffffff
critical_warning : 0
temperature : 30 C
available_spare : 100%
available_spare_threshold : 10%
percentage_used : 0%
data_units_read : 45,741,946
data_units_written : 44,779,247
host_read_commands : 744,942,668
host_write_commands : 212,024,079
controller_busy_time : 2,598
power_cycles : 9
power_on_hours : 507
unsafe_shutdowns : 2
media_errors : 0
num_err_log_entries : 0
Warning Temperature Time : 0
Critical Composite Temperature Time : 0
Temperature Sensor 1 : 30 C
Temperature Sensor 2 : 23 C
Temperature Sensor 3 : 28 C
Temperature Sensor 4 : 30 C
Thermal Management T1 Trans Count : 0
Thermal Management T2 Trans Count : 0
Thermal Management T1 Total Time : 0
Thermal Management T2 Total Time : 0

no media error, no bad sectors.

nvme list report:

Node SN Model Namespace Usage Format FW Rev
---------------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- -------------------------- ---------------- --------
/dev/nvme1n1 SDM000073BEC HUSMR7616BHP301 1 1.60 TB / 1.60 TB 4 KiB + 0 B KNGND110
The last 2 days happened some weird things using dbca (Database Configuration Assistance) utility twice create database (apr. up to 6min) and twice report I/O error!Screenshot from 2019-11-08 09-07-42.png on same server same NVME disk.
I try to download hdm but no link received by email same as on first page(The download link for the requested software cannot be found. We will update our database soon and let you know when HGST Device Manager is available for download.).
I have hope to update firmware cos I found in HGST.pdf ver3.13 "HDM 3.4 requires that Firmware Version KMGNP110 or later be installed on the SN100 or SN150 Series SSDs; otherwise, the execution of the resize, reset-to-defaults and manage-name spaces commands will return an error."
Even couple of times shutdown/ startup (aka RDBMS start) and error "ORA-48178: error encountered while reading an ADR block file during ADR initialization" pop-up.
I test with 2nd disk same model same size and same problem persist. :-(
I had few other server with Oracle db using Samsung/Intel PCIe SSD and no troubles so far.
Server is new 2x Gold 6138 @ 2.00GHz Supermicro mobo X11DPi-N, BIOS is from 2019.

rivet

Jan 12, 2019
Your NVME device is formatted for 4k sectors. I'm not a DBA, but a little Googling indicates that running Oracle DBMS on top of a filesystem using 4k sectors probably isn't going to work well (something about incompatibility with direct I/O).

You could probably use the Linux "nvme format" command to reformat your device to 512b sectors (with no error correction).

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Your NVME device is formatted for 4k sectors. I'm not a DBA, but a little Googling indicates that running Oracle DBMS on top of a filesystem using 4k sectors probably isn't going to work well (something about incompatibility with direct I/O).

You could probably use the Linux "nvme format" command to reformat your device to 512b sectors (with no error correction).
Hi,
thanks for prompt reply, it is possible reason I will test monday (if nvme allow me to format 512b).
I don't think we use direct I/O cos:

sql>show parameter filesys
filesystemio_options string ASYNCH
so only asynchronous access to file system and we need due to parallelism (more performance from 90min to 24min in building single index >2bilion rows)
parallel_degree_policy string AUTO
greetings

Last edited:

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Hello there,
using linux nvme (cos unable to download WD's hdm tool ) command I was able to format with 512bytes/sec. Format with XFS file system yesterday evening put oracle files, import a schema so far work ok, no problems.

P.S. after couple of days problem appear again. Every time happen (server restart with kernel-4.14.35-1902.7.3.el7uek.x86_64 ) when try to create 4 indexes every one >2bilion records

Last edited:

philzy

Mar 29, 2017
Hello! On some Korean site i found link to hdm utility 3.4 and Linux drivers and firmware for HGST SN 150 -https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NeVxABOaiFcMAm19oNfRphCtWRax2xrJ
For HGST SN 150 hdm utility is not working in Windows - it don't see NVMe device.

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Hello! On some Korean site i found link to hdm utility 3.4 and Linux drivers and firmware for HGST SN 150 -https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NeVxABOaiFcMAm19oNfRphCtWRax2xrJ
For HGST SN 150 hdm utility is not working in Windows - it don't see NVMe device.
Hi, can you see in OS hard drive , if not you should install driver, BTW what OS is?